Question about online courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kplreveal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was dumb and enrolled in an online course a few years back but never really finished it. It was from an online college place, separate from the university I attended. It wasn't a core class and didn't have anything to do with med school - just wondering if I really have to list it and request a transcript (even though it was one class and I have no grade) since med schools frown upon online classes?

Members don't see this ad.

its from an online private proprietary school. Does that still count?

Members don't see this ad :)
how do medical schools even know its an online course? I've taken like 3 online classes through my university and they show up as regular classes

its from an online private proprietary school. Does that still count?
If it's an accredited school then you have to list it.
how do medical schools even know its an online course? I've taken like 3 online classes through my university and they show up as regular classes
They won't know based on your primary application. There is no field for that information to be entered at all. It will show up on your coursework just like any other class

Yes, you really need to list it. If its a real college, it will show up in National Student Clearinghouse. If you don't list it and AMCAS runs a background check, finding out you took it, you might never get into medical school. Not worth the risk.

its not an accredited college from my search records and it doesnt offer any sort of degree. They offer classes for people who want to get certified in stuff like... hair cutting, or being a technician, etc.