Question about Out/In State Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tozli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Recently I have been considering the idea of going to medical school. I am currently in my sophomore year of undergrad, so I have a good chunk of time to make up my mind.

One of the biggest and only problems I am having with the entire med school process is the ridiculous amount of debt amassed over just a few quick years. I live in Delaware, so there are no options for in state medical schools (yay o_O) I am curious if anyone could give me some advice to achieve more affordable out of state tuition, or to simply be able to graduate with as little debt as possible.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Jefferson does have spots for Delaware residents, but it is a private school.

OOS tuition is tricky since a lot will charge you a ton if youre from OOS. New York will give you IS tuition after the first year, but you must get into school first.

Honestly, focus on getting into school first and having an application ready. Debt is part of the game.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Everyone!

Recently I have been considering the idea of going to medical school. I am currently in my sophomore year of undergrad, so I have a good chunk of time to make up my mind.

One of the biggest and only problems I am having with the entire med school process is the ridiculous amount of debt amassed over just a few quick years. I live in Delaware, so there are no options for in state medical schools (yay o_O) I am curious if anyone could give me some advice to achieve more affordable out of state tuition, or to simply be able to graduate with as little debt as possible.

Thank you all!

I can tell you what one student did. After she got her BS as a premed, she worked for a year in a lucky state and then applied to med school. She was considered instate and got in. This was somewhat easier for her because she went to college in that state and just stayed and worked for a year to establish residency.

Are you going to college in a state that has public meds? If so, if you did a gap year and worked while doing so, and applied to med schools, would you qualify for instate residency?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically the only program that involves Delaware gives me either PCOM or Sidney Kimmel, which are both private schools at around 50,000+ a year? Sweet :(

So basically the only program that involves Delaware gives me either PCOM or Sidney Kimmel, which are both private schools at around 50,000+ a year? Sweet :(

Most people go into debt for med school, and many take out loans for the full CoA. The average debt is something like 180k.

Also, Ohio will also give you IS tuition after a year.

I can tell you what one student did. After she got her BS as a premed, she worked for a year in a lucky state and then applied to med school. She was considered instate and got in. This was somewhat easier for her because she went to college in that state and just stayed and worked for a year to establish residency.

Are you going to college in a state that has public meds? If so, if you did a gap year and worked while doing so, and applied to med schools, would you qualify for instate residency?

I kind of wish I wouldve did this with Texas before applying this cycle

The debt is a right of passage. welcome to the exclusive club.

I kind of wish I wouldve did this with Texas before applying this cycle

Yes, I can see why that would have been a very good idea for you. Is WV your home state now?

I see that your MCAT is between 504 and 507...so why do you also list a crazy low MCAT?

Same states allow you to apply for residency in 1 year; therefore, you can switch to IS tuition only paying OOS tuition 1 year. In Texas if you receive more than $1000 scholarship from a state institution you are waived into the IS bracket only paying IS tuition for all 4 years. Other ways you can try to save money are getting good grades/research/MCAT and being a desirable candidate, that way schools will offer good financial aid as an incentive to attend their school.

If you absolutely hate debt you can go HPSP (Health professional scholarship program) for the Military. Instead of going into debt with money you go into debt for years of your life.

Same states allow you to apply for residency in 1 year; therefore, you can switch to IS tuition only paying OOS tuition 1 year.

In a number of states, that does not apply if the person is attending school because it's believed that the person is only there for education. In many states, the person would have to be there a year as a non-student, in order to establish residency that qualifies for instate rates.

Yes, I can see why that would have been a very good idea for you. Is WV your home state now?

I see that your MCAT is between 504 and 507...so why do you also list a crazy low MCAT?

No im not from WV, and I dont think a 504-507 is a "crazy" low mcat lol

EDIT: I see that youre talking about the 472, I just put it there for anonymity

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No im not from WV, and I dont think a 504-507 is a "crazy" low mcat lol

I don't either.

But look at your MDapp.....along with your mention of the 504-507, you ALSO list that your MCAT is a 472 with a 118 in each section....and a 472 is crazy low. My question is why do you have that crazy low MCAT and breakdown on your mdapp?

Application Cycle One: 2017
  • TOTAL MCAT SCORE: 472
  • MCAT SECTION SCORES: B/B 118, C/P 118, P/S 118, CARS 118
  • OVERALL GPA: 3.80
  • SCIENCE GPA: 3.80

Edit: I see you've now edited. Not sure how also including a 472 adds to anonymity

Last edited:
I don't either.

But look at your MDapp.....along with your mention of the 504-507, you ALSO list that your MCAT is a 472 with a 118 in each section....and a 472 is crazy low. My question is why do you have that crazy low MCAT and breakdown on your mdapp?

Edit: is see you've now edited. Not sure how also including a 472 adds to anonymity

What are you, a cop?

Reactions: 1 users
@PreMedMissteps can you please knock this off? It's quite aggressive

I don't either.

Edit: is see you've now edited. Not sure how also including a 472 adds to anonymity

The State of Ohio gives instate tuition after the first year of med school. This is contingent upon registering car, renting apartment, registering to vote and not earning money outside of Ohio - and other standard residency things.

Wow, keep it coming on this thread. As someone well out of the college age bracket, I will have to become a resident of whatever state I move to regardless. Does anyone know about CA schools?

Wow, keep it coming on this thread. As someone well out of the college age bracket, I will have to become a resident of whatever state I move to regardless. Does anyone know about CA schools?

It's easier to get into heaven than to get into a California state school from OOS. /jk

But it is a tough market because of the over abundance of highly qualified Californians in the pool.

It's easier to get into heaven than to get into a California state school from OOS. /jk

But it is a tough market because of the over abundance of highly qualified Californians in the pool.

Still better chances than getting into Baylor as a non-Texan. That was officially my most ill-advised application this season. I'm really glad the CA schools pre-screen before sending secondaries.

@DBC03

CA should not be a goal. Their rules for consideration to be an instate for tuition student are stricter than simply being considered to be a state resident.

If I remember correctly, you'd have to live in CA for 2 years, without going to school, in order to be considered instate resident and get instate tuition.

@DBC03

CA should not be a goal. Their rules for consideration to be an instate for tuition student are stricter than simply being considered to be a state resident.

If I remember correctly, you'd have to live in CA for 2 years, without going to school, in order to be considered instate resident and get instate tuition.

That would make sense - someone briefly mentioned on another thread that they thought CA schools gave IS tuition after one year, but it sounds like it was a confusion with NY schools. CA public is still cheaper OOS than most private schools. COL probably more than makes up the difference.

I dont think a 504-507 is a "crazy" low mcat lol

Obviously, this is quite subjective. However, in my humble opinion, if you are
1) not URM
2) applying to a US allopathic (MD) schools
3) [optional] a competitive state's resident, such as CA or MD

504 is considered "crazy low."