Question about PharmD without bachelor's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmDdesire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school senior and considering my options for pursuing a PharmD. I've been accepted to some of the "0-6" programs where you would earn only the PharmD and no bachelor's degree. Is it possible to apply to masters degree programs later on without having a BA or BS in something? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You will have a PharmD, so you will already have a degree that's above a BS. No bachelor's necessary. Plus, a lot of these programs now have a BS included with the PharmD. The 0-6 model is going away though, so who knows how long it'll last.

I am currently a high school senior and considering my options for pursuing a PharmD. I've been accepted to some of the "0-6" programs where you would earn only the PharmD and no bachelor's degree. Is it possible to apply to masters degree programs later on without having a BA or BS in something? Thanks!

I doubt you will use a MA/MS over your PharmD later.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you wanted to go into PhD program? Could you apply with pharmD?

What if you wanted to go into PhD program? Could you apply with pharmD?
Academic bureaucracy aside, it would be pretty hilarious if a chemistry/medical/pharmacology PhD program wouldn't consider a Doctorate of Pharmacy because they don't possess a Bachelor of Science.

Reactions: 2 users
There are many programs that have dual degree programs that allow you to get a PharmD/PhD or PharmD/Masters in public health, or other closely related field if you stay with the same school. They may also give you a B.S. while enrolled in the program. Can't beat getting 3 degrees in ~7 years...

Yea my school offers dual degree. But I was curious about after graduation.

Academic bureaucracy aside, it would be pretty hilarious if a chemistry/medical/pharmacology PhD program wouldn't consider a Doctorate of Pharmacy because they don't possess a Bachelor of Science.

Some Universitys do require a bachelor's before enrolling into a Ph.D program, it would be interesting to see if they would waive this requirement for a Pharm.D

The requirement is waived I believe. I know of a Pharm. D getting a Master's who didn't get a bachelors

I doubt you will use a MA/MS over your PharmD later.
If everyone else has a PharmD, getting a masters can be a way to differentiate yourself when applying for employment.

Side story: I have a classmate who got into our program without a bachelors, and then completed an MBA before graduating from pharmacy school. So as of that date, he was a guy with an MBA, no degree above or below. I thought that was pretty cool.