question about prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonicaMelquiade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two main questions:

1) This might seem stupid, but when the MSAR lists 'inorganic chemistry' as a class, is that referring to the very specific classes for inorganic chemistry that a lot of schools offer, or just general chemistry?

2) I've heard that the California schools tend not to accept IB/AP credit for prereqs. I skipped out of a couple of bio classes because of IB and AP credit I got in high school. Will they accept later (more advanced) biology classes that I took at school in replacement for the general bio classes that I got credit for but never took?

Thanks!
Monica

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two main questions:

1) This might seem stupid, but when the MSAR lists 'inorganic chemistry' as a class, is that referring to the very specific classes for inorganic chemistry that a lot of schools offer, or just general chemistry?

2) I've heard that the California schools tend not to accept IB/AP credit for prereqs. I skipped out of a couple of bio classes because of IB and AP credit I got in high school. Will they accept later (more advanced) biology classes that I took at school in replacement for the general bio classes that I got credit for but never took?

Thanks!
Monica

Inorganic is general.

California schools don't accept AP credit, you are correct. However all the requirements I have seen just say 12-16 (quarter) units of Biology. I think it'd be weird for UCs to require "general biology" when he UCs themselves don't offer undergrad general biology courses (at least at UCI). For example, I'm pretty sure UCI (and maybe UCD too) have a biochemistry AND upper division biology requirement which would not fall under the scope of "general biology."

EDIT: I checked and only UCLA says "general biology." So I would call them. You should also probably call UCSF because of their weird zoology requirement.

Last edited: