Question about reusing essays for different schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPeachyPT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm trying to write my responses to the school specific questions. I've run into two schools with very similar prompts and I was wondering if I could use the same essay for both or if that was considered plagiarism.

The two prompts in question are "Of the many health professions open to you, why have you chosen to pursue a career in physical therapy? Please explain your interest in the profession, and why physical therapy is the best fit for you." (NYMC) and "Describe your decision making process in choosing physical therapy as a career choice versus other health care careers." (UCSF/SFSU).

These questions are essentially asking the same thing and my response for both would include the same experiences. I can't find a clear answer on if this would be acceptable or not.

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't use the same essay for both prompts, as the first prompt talks more about the passion you have for physical therapy, whereas the second talks more about the process in chronological order and how you ended up to your decision.

Yes, they may both be the same experiences, but you have to present them in different ways. Schools can tell when you recycle essays because you may not fit the prompt exactly. And I don't want you to risk not following the prompt and not having your application considered fully because you recycled an essay! There's nothing wrong with recycling, but I wouldn't use the exact same one, just use the same experiences.

I wouldn't use the same essay for both prompts, as the first prompt talks more about the passion you have for physical therapy, whereas the second talks more about the process in chronological order and how you ended up to your decision.

Yes, they may both be the same experiences, but you have to present them in different ways. Schools can tell when you recycle essays because you may not fit the prompt exactly. And I don't want you to risk not following the prompt and not having your application considered fully because you recycled an essay! There's nothing wrong with recycling, but I wouldn't use the exact same one, just use the same experiences.

This is really good advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s ok (not plagiarism or anything) to reuse your previous essay. Just make sure to edit it so that you are actually answering the prompt. I would suggest having someone else who hasn’t read the previous essay read your reworked essay to make sure it appropriately fits the new prompt.

Like someone else already said schools can tell when you give them the cookie cutter essay. Personalize the essay to what the school wants to hear, yes its ok if there is some over lap but I would advise against using the exact same one.

I wouldnt necessarily copy and paste the whole thing, but feel free to use parts that you feel were written really well. I had one essay for my top choice school that I really poured my heart into so I used bits and pieces of it for several other schools, got interviews everywhere I applied.

Hi!

I'm trying to write my responses to the school specific questions. I've run into two schools with very similar prompts and I was wondering if I could use the same essay for both or if that was considered plagiarism.

The two prompts in question are "Of the many health professions open to you, why have you chosen to pursue a career in physical therapy? Please explain your interest in the profession, and why physical therapy is the best fit for you." (NYMC) and "Describe your decision making process in choosing physical therapy as a career choice versus other health care careers." (UCSF/SFSU).

These questions are essentially asking the same thing and my response for both would include the same experiences. I can't find a clear answer on if this would be acceptable or not.

Thanks in advance!!!

Yeah I definitely reused my essays if the prompts were similar enough. I got accepted to two Texas public schools as well.