1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Scaum's Outline...

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by rcwha, May 18, 2008.

1. rcwha

2+ Year Member

Do you think a week and a half is enough time (say 4-5 hrs/ day) to go over schaum's Outline book? I have a good biology background (microbio major) and for the most part I know everything covered in the kaplan book. From what i hear, knowing the kaplan book in and out is not going to help me succeed on the bio section. Which leads me to my next question. How much information is missing from the kaplan book (for bio)? If I knew the missing topics I could probably use my Campbell text rather than buying schuam's outline.

Thanks for the help!

2. arpitpatel86

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ya kaplan is DEFINATLEY not enuff for bio......i bought the shaum's outline bio 2 weeks ago and im almost done with it. i spent 4-5 hours a day on it going through 2 chapters a day. it might seems like i should have gone through more chapters if i spent 4-5 hours on it per day but there is A LOT of material and i tried to make sure i understood everything on that chapter before i moved on to the next, i also used wikepedia for info that just wouldnt click. i have about 6 chapters left so im assuming aobut 3 more days should do it. since u know more bio that me since it was your major u may very well be able to take care of it in a week and half and id def recommend it.

3. rcwha

2+ Year Member

Thanks arp!

4. TheWiredNerv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you have a good biology background I would strongly suggest AP Cliff's biology over Schaums. I feel it is more student friendly and much better written. They also use bullet points =D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. daviddav

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I have a good biology background. I read schaum's twice over the course of my spring semester and it helped out a lot. I look back now and I see how it was a bit excessive. I couldn't read more than a chapter or two at any given sit down without falling asleep. So boring, so dense. That is my opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I cannot even finish reading 1 page of Schaum.

7. dontwakeme

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    By 'good biology background,' do you mean that it's helpful in understanding the material in Cliffs or that you need to rely on your bio background because cliffs doesn't cover all the material? I have a relatively poor background in Bio and Cliffs seems to be pretty straightforward to me.

8. blueclue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I wouldnt worry about a good bio background to be honest. If you read the cliffs or schaum and you truely understand the material than you are good to go. I am a biology major but I didnt remember a lot of stuff because of my studying habits, studying the night before a test and never going to class, but I was able to score a 23 on the biology section.

In fact, I didnt not even go through the whole schaum books, and still did fairly well. Of all the books that I used, I liked EK books the best.