1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about setting my self up for UOP

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by mana20, Aug 1, 2006.

1. mana20

mana20 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hey all, have a few questions, I didnt do great in high school, I did alright, I only took general Ed classes, after I graduated I went into the millitary which I was in for about a year, Now I am in school to be a pharmacy tech, my plan is to go to UOP for pre-pharm and than into Pharm D school, its a 6 year program. Ill be graduating my pharmacy tech training in March, and ill have 4-6 months before school starts at UOP, so that will give me time to have on the job training as a pharmacy tech, and time to possibly take some classes, my question is what would be the best way to improve my chances to get in (classes i could take, or things I could)

Any advice is welcome Thanks in advance.

PS:University of pacific, not phenoix, Another PS: Im not trying to get into the Pharm D program off the bat it would be 3 years of Pre-pharm (I know that UOP has a low rate of people being accepted for the Pharm D progarm)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mana20

mana20 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    anyone?

4. nsxiboi

nsxiboi Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think only high school students can apply for the UOP Prepharmacy advantage program.

5. mana20

mana20 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I dont see anything saying that, it just says you cant transfer from other colleges, If i havent been to a college than i can still get into the program right?

Admission deadline for this program (Fall 2007) is November 15, 2006.
    Decision notification is March 15, 2007.
    Pacific offers first-time freshmen three options that guarantee admission into our Professional Pharmacy (PharmD.) Program, if all pre-pharmacy advantage requirements (including courses taken in sequence at Pacific and minimum GPAs) are met and the formal pharmacy interview (which includes a writing sample) is passed. (One current requirement of advancing from any of these pre-pharmacy advantage programs into our professional pharmacy program is a minimum GPA of 2.70 overall and 2.70 in selected math/science courses.) Please Note: The Pre-Pharmacy Advantage program is not available for students who transfer to Pacific.*

The implementation of minimum requirements for consideration in the three options of the Pre-Pharmacy Advantage Program is meant to ensure that students have the appropriate time to successfully prepare for advancement into the professional pharmacy program.

Five-Year (2+3) Pre-Pharmacy/PharmD.
    Freshmen are admitted directly into the pre-pharmacy program in the School of Pharmacy. After two years, if they have fulfilled all pre-pharmacy advantage requirements, they “advance” into the PharmD. program. Click here to view the 2+3 undergraduate curriculum and course pattern.

Fall 2007 minimum admission criteria for consideration:

High school GPA of 3.6 (on a 4.0 scale) and
    Either a combined SAT Critical Reading and Math score of 1250 (with at least a 550 in Critical Reading and Math), or an ACT Composite of 27.
    Please note that the SAT Writing section score or ACT Writing score may be used as part of our comprehensive admission review process, but no minimum score has been set.
    Please note that the SAT Subject Test in Math (either math test) and Subject Test in Chemistry are strongly recommended, but there are no minimum scores required for pre-pharmacy. The tests will only be used for placement purposes for students who enroll.
    Six-Year (3+3) Pre-Pharmacy/PharmD.
    Freshmen are admitted directly into the pre-pharmacy program in the School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. After three years, they “advance” into the PharmD. program, if they have fulfilled all pre-pharmacy advantage requirements. Click here to view the 3+3 undergraduate curriculum and course pattern.

High school GPA of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) and
    Either a combined SAT Critical Reading and Math scores of 1150 (with at least a 500 in Critical Reading and Math), or an ACT Composite of 25.
    Please note that the SAT Writing section score or ACT Writing score may be used as part of our comprehensive admission review process, but no minimum score has been set.
    Please note that the SAT Subject Test in Math (either math test) and Subject Test in Chemistry are strongly recommended, but there are no minimum scores required for pre-pharmacy. The tests will only be used for placement purposes for students who enroll.
    Seven-Year (4+3) Bachelor’s/PharmD.
    These pre-pharmacy applicants will be admitted into Pacific’s arts and sciences division (known as the “College of the Pacific”) and will pursue a Bachelor of Science degree with a major from either the Department of Biological Sciences or the Department of Chemistry. If they complete their Bachelor’s degree in four years (but no more than five years) they will be eligible to “advance” into the PharmD. program as long as they have fulfilled all of the pre-pharmacy advantage requirements. This option will ensure that these students are “on track” from the beginning of their college careers to earn, at least, a Bachelor’s degree.

High school GPA of 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale) and
    Either a combined SAT Critical Reading and Math score of 1050 (with at least a 500 in Critical Reading and Math), or an ACT Composite of 22.
    Please note that the SAT Writing section score or ACT Writing Score may be used as part of our comprehensive admission review process, but no minimum score has been set.
    Applying to Pacific’s PharmD. program after attending another institution
    Students who attend other institutions to complete their pre-pharmacy courses and/or their Bachelor’s degree are welcome to apply directly to the PharmD. program at Pacific’s Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. They should know, however, that in recent years, admission for those applying from other institutions has been very competitive. Space is limited, so courses, grades, academic maturity and work experience are all taken into consideration. Students from other institutions may apply during their second year of college if they are completing Pacific’s pre-pharmacy requirements, but the vast majority of those admitted from other institutions are in at least their fourth year of college and will be completing a Bachelor’s degree before enrolling. Most of the successful PharmD. applicants from other institutions also have work experience in a pharmacy or other health-related environment.

* Please note: There is no formal “pre-pharmacy advantage” available to a student who attends another institution for a semester to two years and then transfers as a science major into Pacific’s arts and sciences division. We have excellent undergraduate programs to which transfers are welcome to apply, but once here, these students will compete with those applying from other institutions for space in the PharmD. program.

6. nsxiboi

nsxiboi Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Call the admissions office and see what you can do. Based on what I know, the program will only consider those who will be graduating HS in 2007. You may be right. I don't know. Wouldn't hurt to call the UOP admissions office.