Question about shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do I even need to shadow? I have not done that yet and not sure I will before I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is very important to shadow for the dental schools and for yourself. You need to shadow to see if this is what you want to do. Dental schools don't want you to drop out before you are finished and they want to know that you are in it for the long haul. Shadowing shows them that you know what you are getting into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is very important to shadow for the dental schools and for yourself. You need to shadow to see if this is what you want to do. Dental schools don't want you to drop out before you are finished and they want to know that you are in it for the long haul. Shadowing shows them that you know what you are getting into.

How do I report I shadowed a dentist?

You just put that information on your application. There is a section that is specific to shadowing.

Dont want to hijack this, but I figure its related. What opinion do you guys have about shadowing a wider selection of dentists? For instance if you follow an orthodontist around for 100 hours, thats fine.....but whats the chances you are going to make it into ortho? Low. Perhaps a wider spectrum of dentist shadowings would be viewed better? Problem is you dont have enough time to establish a good relationship with the dentist.

Eh, just something I've been rolling around in my head.

Dont want to hijack this, but I figure its related. What opinion do you guys have about shadowing a wider selection of dentists? For instance if you follow an orthodontist around for 100 hours, thats fine.....but whats the chances you are going to make it into ortho? Low. Perhaps a wider spectrum of dentist shadowings would be viewed better? Problem is you dont have enough time to establish a good relationship with the dentist.

Eh, just something I've been rolling around in my head.

I definitely would do more than work just for an orthodontist. Observe general or maybe pedo or something to learn a little bit about restorative dentistry since an orthodontic office is really almost nothing like what most dentists actually do. If you are really interested in dentistry, you should want to learn as much about it as possible before you choose to go to dental school not shadow just to put something on your application. If you are working for an orthodontist, ask him to set you up with a general dentist, he definitely knows a few.