Question about teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperactive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a simple temporary way to cover gaps in teeth without having to go to the dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

north2southOMFS said:
Chewing gum.

Ok well is there something that covers the gaps in the teeth but you could still eat and drink and do things like that, chewing gum cant do that, it would fall out.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard golfing tees work really well...

just trim the sides so it fits in the space...
..bite down on it...
...and then have one of your buddies give you a nice solid uppercut under the chin.

lemme know if it works out for ya..
:)

Could you provide some clarification on what you mean? For example, do you have a gap in your teeth that you are concerned with how it looks? Or is there something else you are getting at? From what I have read, I am thinking you are concerned with some spacing between your teeth, but just want to make sure.

grtuck

If you lay off the old toothbrush for a while, the plaque and calculus will generally expand into the space. Otherwise, you're just going to have to see your dentist.

Where are the folks at Crest, though? They should be all over this. A do-it-yourself composite system with optional highspeed handpiece. Forget all that whitening garbage. This is what people really want. :laugh:

Oh, and Hoover ought to be selling attachment kits containing liposuction nozzles, local anesthetic, and a surgical blade.

Didn't think you were going to get all of this constructive help did you?

north2southOMFS said:
Didn't think you were going to get all of this constructive help did you?

Where do you buy the resin at?

grtuck said:
Could you provide some clarification on what you mean? For example, do you have a gap in your teeth that you are concerned with how it looks? Or is there something else you are getting at? From what I have read, I am thinking you are concerned with some spacing between your teeth, but just want to make sure.

grtuck

Yes I have a gap

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be overlooking something, but I can't think of anything that is safe or will work very well for your situation, other than going to the dentist that is. It is something that the dentist could fix relatively easy though (assuming your gap is not too big).

Sorry to dissapoint, anyone else have any other ideas?

grtuck

DrRob said:

Horriable advise. These bands may close your gap, but at the expense of possibly causing serious damage to your teeth. Band should never be use with out brackets (used in braces). They can slip under your gums and damage the ligaments that support your teeth, trust me you will have serious problems then.

The best advise is to see your dentist. The problem could be fixed with a simple retainer or direct/indirect venners. But you should consult with him/her for the best treatment for you.

$17 for rubber bands. :laugh: I wonder if they actually sell any?

smiledds said:
Horriable advise. These bands may close your gap, but at the expense of possibly causing serious damage to your teeth. Band should never be use with out brackets (used in braces). They can slip under your gums and damage the ligaments that support your teeth, trust me you will have serious problems then.

The best advise is to see your dentist. The problem could be fixed with a simple retainer or direct/indirect venners. But you should consult with him/her for the best treatment for you.
Gee, how lucky we are that you're here to correct us all. After all, I can't fathom any way that Dr. Rob, a licensed dentist for three years now, might have been being facetious. ;)

DrRob said:

From their FAQ:

If I have a large gap will new gaps form on either side of my old gap?

As your teeth come together it pushes on your gum causing it to contract so no new gap should appear. If you start to notice a gap use a teeth effect band on that gap as well. This will prevent new gaps from appearing.

Once the gap has closed will it reappear once treatment stops?

If your teeth have not yet settled into position it can. We suggest you place a band around the teeth with the gap if you start to notice it reappearing. Over time the bands will not have to be worn as often and your teeth will settle into position.

Other options:

Just as orthodontics glue braces on your teeth you can apply a small amount of super glue between the teeth. Once together apply a small amount of super glue to the tip of a needle then slid the needle between teeth (make sure teeth our not wet). This will keep your teeth from going back. The glue can be removed by taking a needle and scrapping it off at later time. (Cautions -This option is not suggested because of the danger.)

:eek: :scared: :smuggrin:

LOL. And my favorite part...

DcS said:
From their FAQ:

(make sure teeth our not wet)

smiledds said:

Go to the pictures section the before and after picture where one central is longer than the other says it all! :rolleyes:

http://www.toothgap.com/Product.htm

" Teeth effect bands can be wore anytime except while eating or when brushing teeth.

If teeth become especially sensitive take a break! Leaving bands on to long can move the teeth to fast which might cause root damage.

You can stretch teeth effect bands out before you put around your teeth to lessen the pressure pulling on your teeth. "

Thanks for the tips. :rolleyes:

If this were a US-based company this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. They must be in some tiny country where anything goes. Canada maybe? :D

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
If this were a US-based company this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. They must be in some tiny country where anything goes. Canada maybe? :D

close.

...cincinnati.
:)

Our Address is:

Teeth Gap

P.O. Box 498642

Cincinnati, Ohio 45249-8642

aphistis said:
Gee, how lucky we are that you're here to correct us all. After all, I can't fathom any way that Dr. Rob, a licensed dentist for three years now, might have been being facetious. ;)

No...... how luck the OP is to have such helpful and serious advise. Just trying to help.

Hooray! It's open again.

To the OP. If you want honest advice; here it is. The only safe and effective way to take care of those gaps in your teeth is by visiting a dentist. I would steer clear of any do-it-yourself orthodontic schemes - especially those cheesy rubber bands. While orthodontics (moving your teeth around) seems pretty benign there is actually a LOT that can go wrong. That is why most dentists don't even do braces without having gone to a special orthodontics school.

You may have to save up for several months to afford having a dentist do this for you, but it will be well worth it. The cost of lost teeth/periodontal problems that may be caused by those rubber bands will far outweigh the costs of just doing it right the first time.

Many dentists also offer payment plans; something to keep in mind.
Hope this helped. :)

Do you live anywhere near a dental school? It would take a while but would be a lot cheaper. Otherwise I would do one of three things.
1) Go to a dentist, get the resin bonding (a few $100?, I don't know) for now and save up for veneers later on in life.
2) Get the veneers on a payment plan
3) Ask an orthodontist (or really good dentist if you know of one) about minor tooth movement to close up a diastema/space, see how much, and maybe do a payment plan.

Also, just to focus in a bit on the cause of your diastema.. Do you have a frenum or stringy piece of tissue that connects your upper lip to your gums and ends right where your space begins?

Doesn't anyone find it kinda fishy that this new member (hyperactive) keeps finding coy ways to bring up this toothgap website?

Omahahahaha said:
Doesn't anyone find it kinda fishy that this new member (hyperactive) keeps finding coy ways to bring up this toothgap website?

I think he brought it up in the other thread (about veeners) because it was mentioned to him here.