Question about textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I am so tragically broke I can't afford to purchase my overpriced Physics and Orgo book. My half-assed solution: Buy the previous edition (we're supposed to have the fifth edition of both, but I got the fourth).

Does anyone out there know how much textbooks change from edition to edition?

I know this is totally random, but I figured somebody out there might know the answer...

Members don't see this ad.

They typically change very little. I used a previous edition in my physics class. The only problem arises when/if you are assigned problems from the textbook, because these usually are completely different from book to book. Another thing you might look into is whether or not your school's library has the textbooks.

you could also buy the earlier editions, and then just photocopy any problem assignments from a friend in the class who has the current edition. i did this for my genetics class and it worked fine. i agree, the books change very little for orgo and physics.

TEDillard, The old edition should serve you well. The main reason new editions come out is so that the publisher and bookseller can jack up the price, not because the content of the book has changed. It's a scam.

You might consider purchasing used textbooks online. Sites like <a href="http://www.half.com/" target="_blank">half.com</a> and the like can save you big bucks.