1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about textbooks

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Elysium, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Elysium

Elysium Not Really An Old Beaver
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Because I am so tragically broke I can't afford to purchase my overpriced Physics and Orgo book. My half-assed solution: Buy the previous edition (we're supposed to have the fifth edition of both, but I got the fourth).

Does anyone out there know how much textbooks change from edition to edition?

I know this is totally random, but I figured somebody out there might know the answer...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They typically change very little. I used a previous edition in my physics class. The only problem arises when/if you are assigned problems from the textbook, because these usually are completely different from book to book. Another thing you might look into is whether or not your school's library has the textbooks.

4. nebula7

nebula7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you could also buy the earlier editions, and then just photocopy any problem assignments from a friend in the class who has the current edition. i did this for my genetics class and it worked fine. i agree, the books change very little for orgo and physics.

5. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

TEDillard, The old edition should serve you well. The main reason new editions come out is so that the publisher and bookseller can jack up the price, not because the content of the book has changed. It's a scam.

You might consider purchasing used textbooks online. Sites like <a href="http://www.half.com/" target="_blank">half.com</a> and the like can save you big bucks.