question about the SDN forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesse14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why is is that under the topic heading "doctors in other health feilds" (or something like that) There is no chiropractic forum or sub-forum? there is optometry and vet but no chiro. Chiropractors are doctors too so why shouldn't they be included in that list ??

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

This issue has been discussed here many times. The most recent is here. see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=167735

IMNSHO - there are many chiro and chiro student forums already and chiro does, as a profession, work to actively differentiate themselves from "medicine". You will note there are not napropathic forums here, nor ones dedicated to accupuncture, homeopathy, or faith healing. These are medical forums. Podiatrists and optometrists (and many others) are "medical" professions. Chiropractic isn't.

BTW - without trying to start a fight, there are areas of academia and medicine where DCs are not recognized as "doctors", I have seen lectures where a DC is introduced as "Mr." at more than one institution. So the statement "chiropractors are doctors too" is not as universally true as you think.

- H

Although it has been discussed multiple times on these boards, the question has never been answered.

I hardly believe a DC would allow someone to introduce him as "Mr" in an academic or clinical setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
BackTalk said:
Although it has been discussed multiple times on these boards, the question has never been answered.

I hardly believe a DC would allow someone to introduce him as "Mr" in an academic or clinical setting.

i believe thar calling a chiropractor mr while introducing him is just plain DISRESPECTFUL. They are legally entitled to call themselves doctors (not DPM's or naturopaths might i add) and it would just be an insult to the individual to do that.

BackTalk said:

Actually, I know of at least two who did. Both presenting at grand rounds on "alternative and complementary medicine". Both acknowledged that their respective institutions were, at the time of their attendence, not recognized by any national accrediting body. This is where I drew the information that I used when you and I debated about the utility and recognition of the DC in academia. Some DCs do acknowledge that these schools are not / were not up to the academic rigor of other doctorate programs (or maybe they were Ph.C.s - given that the degree was recinded).

Here is an article, from a "pro-chiro" source about the issue of accreditation of chiropractic colleges. See: http://www.worldchiropracticalliance.org/tcj/2003/jun/june2003kent.htm

And BTW - I am not looking to get into a fight with you on this. I believe that within their professional relationships, DCs should be referred to as "Dr." if they so choose, but old academic institutions do not always concur.

- H

jesse14 said:
They are legally entitled to call themselves doctors (not DPM's or naturopaths might i add)

Legally entitled by whom? I can send away for a "Doctorate of Divinity" on-line and "legally" call myself "Reverend Foughtfyr", that doesn't mean that anyone else has to acknowledge that "right". There are arcane academic institutions that do not recognize many degrees otherwise recognized (e.g., many hospitals do not allow MD, MPH on nametags or business cards due to a percieved "ease" in obtaining an MPH and due to the number of non-accreditated MPH schools - like A.T. Still University).

- H