Question about the uniform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiles90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got engaged and my fiance would like pictures of me in the Army dress uniform...is this something that would be looked down upon as I'm only a 2LT by a technicality and have no training? I mean, so far I have been feeling more like a private than an officer! :D thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you have not done BOLC...I think the only ribbons you can wear are the NDSM and the GWOTS....I don't think you can wear the ASR.

Help from others?

It wouldn't be frowned upon....I mean...come on...who is going to see them?

Also, you are not a 2LT by a technicality...you are earning your keep now in school. You are obtaining a very important skill...something other Army Officers do not possess....do not let that make you feel any less of an officer.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have not done BOLC...I think the only ribbons you can wear are the NDSM and the GWOTS....I don't think you can wear the ASR.

Help from others?

Also, you are not a 2LT by a technicality...you are earning your keep now in school. You are obtaining a very important skill...something other Army Officers do not possess....do not let that make you feel any less of an officer.

Thank you for that, AirborneDentist,

I haven't done BOLC as I don't have time until after I graduate from dental school. So where should I go to get them? I don't need anything other than my rank and I am mostly worried that someone at the wedding would take offense that I was wearing the dress blues and cause an issue. Obviously it would only be if they actually saw the pictures and I would be wearing a tux/suit most likely for the ceremony. thanks!

You're an officer in the Army Reserve - no one should take issue with you wearing the uniform. Period. I know several Navy dentists who did exactly the same thing for their weddings while they were in school.

Head to your nearest Army base and the uniform shop - they should be able to get you all set up. Just make sure you wear it according to the appropriate regs, otherwise your pics may end up the subject of internet ridicule.

Thank you for that, AirborneDentist,

I haven't done BOLC as I don't have time until after I graduate from dental school. So where should I go to get them? I don't need anything other than my rank and I am mostly worried that someone at the wedding would take offense that I was wearing the dress blues and cause an issue. Obviously it would only be if they actually saw the pictures and I would be wearing a tux/suit most likely for the ceremony. thanks!

As long as you've been commissioned as an officer you can wear the uniform with your rank. However, your left chest, where you wear your ribbons is going to be *bare*. You don't even get the first ribbon after completing BOLC (Army Service Ribbon). If someone who's been in for awhile sees you in uniform like that, it's going to generate some speculation and unwarranted/unwanted attention.

edit: I'm assuming you have no prior service and have been recently commissioned.

Last edited:

Help from others?

I did some quick researching:

National Defense Service Medal Criteria: It is awarded for honorable active military service as a member of the armed forces of the United States including the Coast Guard, between June 27, 1950 and July 27, 1954, (Korean War), between Jan. 1, 1961 and Aug. 14, 1974, (Vietnam War), between Aug. 2, 1990 to Nov. 30, 1995 (operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm), and currently from Sept. 11, 2001 to a date to be determined (terrorism attacks on the United States). Service members who earned the medal during the first qualifying period, and who again became entitled to the medal, wear a bronze star on the ribbon to denote the second award of the medal.

Global War On Terrorism: To receive the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, a military service member must perform duty in a designated anti-terrorism operation for a period of either 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty. For those who were engaged in combat, killed, or wounded in the line of duty the time requirement is waived

Army Service Ribbon: The Army Service Ribbon is awarded to members of the Army, Army Reserve, and Army National Guard for successful completion of initial-entry training, which for officers is considered to be successful completion of their basic/orientation or higher level course.

NDSM requires active service, GWOT requires support of an anti-terror mission for the time period stated. I don't think there's a single ribbon you can pin on.

While *anyone* can wear any military uniform, it's actually illegal to wear ribbons you haven't earned. I recall the story of a marine who went around a community telling everyone he won all sorts of medals in combat (that he didn't earn) and was subsequently prosecuted. I'm not saying you'd do that, but people (like myself) do pay attention to ribbon racks and what's on them. I can't advice you to put on ribbons for a portrait and tell you everything is going to be ok, so tread carefully.

Thank you for that information! I wasn't that informed about ribbons anyways, so the fact that I won't be able to wear any isn't negatively received. I think just wearing the uniform will be exciting enough for me, as well as humbling to be in the same uniform as prior and current service members.

Putting your right hand into the air and taking your oath has more than earned you the right to wear the uniform. Having said that, it has also earned you the responsibility to give the uniform the respect it deserves. Just being concerned about it is a great sign of the respect you place in it. The biggest thing about the ASU is that the regulations regarding it's wear and apperance are very very specific. I know that without my NCO support I would be wearing it incorrectly.

If you decide to wear it (which I think you should and I thought about wearing mine at my wedding) then make sure you get with your recruiters to help you purchase it and to help you assemble it.

Wearing the uniform is an amazing honor and it is humbling to think that you have the same right to wear it as those that have fallen in combat. Just give it the respect it deserves and you'll be a great officer!

I did some quick researching:

National Defense Service Medal Criteria: It is awarded for honorable active military service as a member of the armed forces of the United States including the Coast Guard, between June 27, 1950 and July 27, 1954, (Korean War), between Jan. 1, 1961 and Aug. 14, 1974, (Vietnam War), between Aug. 2, 1990 to Nov. 30, 1995 (operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm), and currently from Sept. 11, 2001 to a date to be determined (terrorism attacks on the United States). Service members who earned the medal during the first qualifying period, and who again became entitled to the medal, wear a bronze star on the ribbon to denote the second award of the medal.

Global War On Terrorism: To receive the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, a military service member must perform duty in a designated anti-terrorism operation for a period of either 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty. For those who were engaged in combat, killed, or wounded in the line of duty the time requirement is waived

Army Service Ribbon: The Army Service Ribbon is awarded to members of the Army, Army Reserve, and Army National Guard for successful completion of initial-entry training, which for officers is considered to be successful completion of their basic/orientation or higher level course.

NDSM requires active service, GWOT requires support of an anti-terror mission for the time period stated. I don't think there's a single ribbon you can pin on.

While *anyone* can wear any military uniform, it's actually illegal to wear ribbons you haven't earned. I recall the story of a marine who went around a community telling everyone he won all sorts of medals in combat (that he didn't earn) and was subsequently prosecuted. I'm not saying you'd do that, but people (like myself) do pay attention to ribbon racks and what's on them. I can't advice you to put on ribbons for a portrait and tell you everything is going to be ok, so tread carefully.
AR670 actually stipulates that SELRES in good standing are authorized NDSM during global war on terror period.