Question about transcript verification with AMCAS and National Student Clearinghouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmantistobbogan

I'm here for the scraps!
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a weird question but I'm hoping someone like @Goro or @LizzyM can chime in.

I am in the process of filling out my AMCAS application and I ran into an issue regarding transcripts. In another life, I attended a vocational school that I am under the impression is not accredited. I called the school and asked about transcripts and they don't even have official transcripts. My concern is whether or not I will be required to provide transcripts for the vocational school.

I recall hearing that AMCAS uses National Student Clearinghouse for enrollment and registration verification. I looked on their website and the school is not listed in their database. Does this mean that I do not need to list the school on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

If the school is not a chartered and/or accredited post-secondary institution (ie college or university), then it does not need to be reported on AMCAS. If the vocational program, which is what it sounds like, is medically related like CNA, you may want to mentioned on EC.

Not to steal OP's thunder, but I was wondering about this very situation. So something like CNA or OR tech where the program is vocational and non-accredited, we can list it in activities but not have to provide a "transcript?" I ask because the place I did my program doesn't exist anymore lol.

Thanks for starting this thread @drmantistobbogan

Now you are asking two different questions

1) if a program that was a chartered/accredited program or institution as a post-secondary institution is now closed, some authority will be responsible for the archived records (see below)

2) If the program was vocational, then you dont need transcripts; you can mention it in EC without worry

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...e7e/2018_amcas_instruction_manual.pdf#page=22
If No Official Transcript is Available
If the institution only provides a certificate of completion or no official transcript is available, the registrar of the institution must send AMCAS an official letter verifying that no official transcript is available.

If the Institution Closed
If an institution has closed, archived transcripts should be available. Ownership of the archived transcripts varies from state to state, but we suggest the following list to start your search:
·Department of Education
·Department of Commerce
·Another campus, if the school was part of a multi-campus system
·The National Student Clearinghouse
·Internet search engine
Your application will not be processed without an official transcript or letter indicating that no transcript is available

Got it. Thanks. This place was a vocational program, but it is not around anymore anyway.