Question about U of Cincinnati & VCU Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at those two places coming up. For those that have interviewed there, was the interview was open-file or closed-file?

Additionally, for U of Cincinnati, does their web page state anywhere what their percentage is for 1st choice in matching residencies? And if you stayed at Holmes on Eden, what did you think of the place? Somebody mentioned on interviewfeedback that it was creepy. :eek:

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Lily,
I interviewed at U of C on the 17th. It was an open-file interview, with the interviewer freely quoting from my experiences and asking me questions about them. In fact, those were the only questions he asked! Seems atypical, given some students say cincy is heavy on ethical questions which i didnt get.
I dont know about residencies posted on the web, but they give lots of information regarding that in the packet they hand out on interview day.
I read about the Holmes stuff too, but i stayed there, and it wasnt creepy as one post said...though i'd advise taking a pillow with you. Free morning breakfast! :)

VCU is also open file. Its very laid back. It was my best interview experence and really helped to move the school to the top of my list. The dean meets with you and gives you the 411. Stay with a student if you can, I called a girl of their list and she was really cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the previous poster, the interview at VCU/MCV was very relaxed and allows you to really show them who you are and what you have to offer. It also moved to one of my top choices after interview and I have been lucky enough to be accepted. I really liked the classrooms, the students, and the incredible hospital. Don't stress or prepare too heavily, just know yourself and be confident. Good luck!

hey let me give my 2 cents worth

Although i am not interviewing at Cinccy,but i actually graduated from UC in 2000, so it 's been a while since my interview. But if i recalled, interview is very relaxing, just trying to find out who you are and why you going into medicine. I think i had 1 ethical question.
"will you report your collegues if you know they are treating patients while under influence of control substances?"
otherwise,very relaxing interview...

Is cinccy high on your list ? you from ohio ? I have no regret that i went to cinccy. Our match stat are pretty good,about 40-50 % got 1st choice, top 3 choices about 80%. Cinccy is especially strong in placing ppl into ENT, Ortho, and Opht. the school won't admit it, but they do try to push ppl into primary care.

What are you interested in ?

Also, i feel I was very well educated after i graduate,no problem in my internship year at all..

If you wanna find out more about cinccy, feel free to ask.

As for myself, i am a 2nd year surgery resident, i got my top 3 choices in residency.

best wishes

Hi everybody! I really appreciate the the help. :) I'll be sure to bring my pillow!

htsurg-well, I was pretty darn surprised when I got the interview invite from cincinnati b/c 1) I'm out of state and 2) it was a reach school for me. But of course I'm pleased. Additionally, I heard that cincinnati has quite a good peds program and that's what I'm interested in.