Question about UF Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cdiddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious to how the admission process at UF works. I know that they have 4 different cities you can attend in. Do you apply for let say Orlando only, or are you accepted then pick which campus to attend. I am 25 and married and live in Georgia. What would it take for me to qualify for instate tuition. I do plan on practicing in Florida.

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Dana can answer a lot more of this than I can, but as far as campus, you apply to UF-COP and part of the application is a form stating what your campus preferences are; you can choose a specific one or all 4. They told me when I asked, that listing more campuses does not increase your chances of acceptance. That doesn't seem right, but it is what she said. But to cover my bases, I am listing St. Pete as my first choice and Orlando as my second choice, since I am halfway between the two.

Oh, and if UF is like USF, to be in-state you have to have a Florida driver's license for over a year as well as proof of employment for over a year.

You have to be a Florida resident a year before you get the in-state rate.

You are required to rank the campuses in order from 1 to 4. Most people get their 1st or 2nd choice. I'm at St. Pete and it was most student's 1st choice. There are some young people who wanted Gainesville, that got St. Pete instead. I think more people choose Gainesville and they just can't accomodate all the students.

They do even out the GPA's. It's not like the highest GPA students get into Gainesville and the other cities are the leftovers. That was the reason given to students who didn't get their first choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people pick Gainesville. I was told by one of the admissions advisors that they give priority for Gainesville to UF students and people who already live there. After that everybody is put on a randomized list. I would imagine that the other campuses are treated the same way.

We have a couple of UF students who were in Gainesville for undergrad and got sent to St. Pete instead. They were told it was to even out the GPA distribution, when they asked why they didn't get to stay in Gainesville. Conversely, some of the students from local community colleges in Tampa are attending school in Gainesville. I'm not quite sure of their methods, but everyone has always gotten their 1st or 2nd choice.

We have 58 in our St. Pete class and there was supposed to be a max of 50. I think that they do want their students to be happy.

How much is UF tuition for out of state? I wasn t able to find it on website.

guys, this will be my first post here, I am really interested in getting a pharmD. I just graduated last year with a Bachelor in MIS and came to jacksonville after that. I'm just wondering if any of you know with who can I speak regarding the exact pre-pharm courses that I will have to take to meet their requirements, and I know they have a list in the website but I want to confirm if some of my previous taken courses can be considered for these pre-requisites (speech and math classes). Do I have to go to somebody at the Gainesville campus or can I ask somebody here in Jacksonville?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the noob questions :D

You can email them and they usually will tell you, but it takes a while. I just called advising in Gainesville. I tried talking to somebody at St. Pete and they told me all advising was through the Gainesville Office. What math and speech class did you take?