question about updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

talbo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so after interviewing at a school, i sent in an update letter to them; recently i found out that my finished project resulting in figures/data will be used in a paper that is currently being prepared and i will be an author on there, not 1st or 2nd. I am wondering if i should update that same school before the decision comes out or should i save it when i get WL? My other concern is that what if i get a straight out rejection. Also, how would i update them bc the update i sent right after the interview was long, but this one would be kind of short, i am not sure how to put it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that if there's a few weeks or more until they are likely to make a decision on your file you might as well update them now. It will keep them informed of your interest and eagerness to get in, at least.

I don't know but I'd guess that you are probably fine sending them another update. I don't know the psychology behind getting annoyed with too many updates or something, but adding to your profile can't hurt.

Though I'll say one thing. I think you should only update regarding a paper if it's been accepted for publication, and thus "in press." Only then is it finalized as a publication. Papers can be sent in or "in manuscript" or "sent for review" all the time, but most are rejected if not once, multiple times before final acceptance. It's a great accomplishment though, congrats, but yeah I just think you should wait until it's been accepted. Gives it more weight that way then just "in preparation."