Question about using your personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PayingMyDues

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it "ok" to use most of your personal statement in the secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

only if you reword it. If you can't think of anythign else to write. Talk about your favorite hobby. but don't use your personal statment for a seconday.

I don't think it's the best idea. I would try to write something completely new. After all, you're being given a 2nd chance to tell them more about you. I'm sure there's stuff you had to edit out of your personal statement. Now's your chance to show it all off!

Members don't see this ad :)
Work your "boneyard" (text not used in personal statement) into coherent paragraphs, and you should be good.

I found that most of my secondaries addressed different questions than the original personal statement. I tried to elaborate some on the original theme of my personal statement, but I didn't use it all over again.

The exception is that a couple of the allopathic schools I applied to actually requested a cut/paste of my original personal statement for the secondary. I can only assume that they use it as a way of getting some idea about you before your entire file is complete from AMCAS.

Though I was tired of writing essays, I did appreciate that VCOM asked some specific questions that allowed me to address things that I never considered putting in my personal statement, but I believe showed more depth and thought than most other secondary essays.

Good luck.

Will~

in lots of secondaries where they asked the variously reworded question, "so..is there anything else not listed in your amcas application we should know about you?" I answered with why I want to go to their particular school.