Question about volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elfie

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in a clinical setting in a hospital, so I was just curious about how important clinical volunteering is? I get a bunch of hours volunteering through the club I'm involved with working with children and adults with various disabilities + some other random things, but on top of shadowing and working in a hospital, wouldn't it be overkill to also volunteer there too?

Maybe this is a dumb question, I don't know. In my mind I like to imagine adcoms would want to see more than volunteering in a clinical setting but maybe not. Help me out, SDN! <3

Members don't see this ad.

How can more volunteering be overkill? Unless it hurts your GPA I guess..
There are people who apply with 4 figure volunteer hours.
The more the better

Employment =/= Volunteering =/= Shadowing

I am a transporter at a hospital. Not much, but it's still patient interaction and some interaction with the physicians. I am not planning on cutting out clinical volunteering completely, my question was simply asking if I volunteered outside of the hospital more, if that'd affect my chances too poorly. I should mention that where a majority of my volunteer hours are is with the special needs population in my area. Ultimately this is the group I want to one day work with primarily and I'm extremely involved with the various groups in my city involving them. So no, it's not clinical, but ultimately this is the group I want to work with and I'm not just getting random hours at the animal shelter. These are the types of experiences that one day I hope to talk about in interviews and what not.

Shadowing will be done/has been done regardless. Just looking for a couple more opportunities outside of FM and IM!