Question about Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moskeeto

Feminist
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can it be considered volunteer work if you receive course credits for it? I volunteered at some local schools and I was enrolled in a class at the time that gave us units for the time we spent in the classroom. So, was i truely volunteering? I've also volunteered at the med center here and received course credit for that. It seems like it could go either way.

Members don't see this ad.

you bastards, why won't anyone answer me? :) I guess everyone is busy fighting over at the MD vs DO thread or the ever-so-fun AA thread. Maybe we can turn this into a, hmmm, i dunno, a type/don't type secondary, or should I/ Shouldn't I send in my used panties with my thank you cards? that should get some replies. what is the best controversy going on here at the forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider your involvement to be "service learning" NOT volunteerism... volunteer activities are precisely just that, volunteer. You gain life experience from these selfless endeavours, not college credit. I can neither say I have ever participated in "volunteer" activities where I earned course credits, nor do I plan on pursuing them in the future. If you have the option to pursue these activities WITHOUT credit, I recommend your doing so.

That's just my philosophy. I am sure your endeavours were worthwhile, even though you reaped superficial benefits from them.

No, it is not volunteer work. You received quantifiable compensation for your work. On the AMCAS application I would check "other" and describe the program/experience as part of your education--service learning is great. Of course you can lie on your application and only a discerning eye would pick it up. However, if someone questioned this when reading your application or worse, in an interview, it could REALLY go against you.

it is not volunteer work, but i think adcoms won't really care that you are not technically volunteering unless you have no other outside of school activities. they just want to see that you're out there doing something, working with people, getting clinical exposure, etc..
but yeah, don't classify it as volunteer work, because it's not technically volunteer work.