question about what kind of research dental schools look for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schen140

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm taking a year off between graduation and (hopefully) when i enter dental school, and plan to do some research...however, i do hope that my research can be beneficial to my dental application and interview process

i have an opportunity to apply for this project that is not on the molecular/cellular level, but on the integrative/animal level. the researcher is studying rodents and how their teeth habits can be used to find out information about extinct mammals. so basically we'd be doing alot of field observation, etc, and not really working in a lab and using microscopes and chemistry techniques

although i do enjoy this type of work, i dont know if it would help me in my application process, since it is quite different than the typical "research" that involves examining cells, tissues, enzymes, etc

so my question to you guys is, does anyone know if the interviewers/dental schools discriminate between different types of research. or is this not really what they are looking for?

appreciate all honest input

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think any type of rigorous research (ie using scientific methods, etc.) will show you have ambition, discipline and focus. I would go with the one that interests you more. Heck, I don't even have research on my app.

I heard at least 6 schools said that the TYPE of research doesn't really matter. They don't have to be the traditional science research. Like Redchesus said, as long as the research you're doing demonstrates using scientific methods then it's good. So ya just pick the ones you find it interesting and worth the time and effort. And it's also a BIG plus if you can help to get that paper published.

If I could choose again, I would work with a living organism like a bacteria. Maybe microbiology or biochemistry research. But you should think about what kind of work you want to be observing. Research is very time consuming, so pick something that you are interested in. If you don't enjoy it, move on so that you don't waste your time or the people in the lab.