Question: "Balanced" PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychUndergrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I've been reading through this forum all day and its been a wonderful source of information and opinions to consider. I am currently in the application process for 2011. Like many others I've been debating about whether to pursue a clinical PhD or PsyD. Overall it seems like a PhD program would generally be whats best for me.

Just by reading the overview and missions of the PhD programs I already have on my list there seems to be a consistent trend that they emphasize research (above and beyond the general PhD v. PsyD distinction). Are there really any balanced PhD programs out there?

Can anyone specifically suggest PhD programs that are considered "balanced" (between research and clinical training)? I've searched the forum but haven't come up with any actual names of schools.

Anticipated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's been numerous posts on this topic... off the top of my head:

North Dakota
Montana (though it can be vary a good deal from faculty member to faculty member in terms of what they emphasize in their particular student selection and training)
Eastern Michigan
Nova Southeastern
Kentucky

There are many others to be sure... I'd suggest checking the Insider's Guide to Clinical and Counseling Psychology. While their balance ratings aren't always accurate, it's a REALLY good place to start.

Good luck! :luck:

There's been numerous posts on this topic... off the top of my head:

North Dakota
Montana (though it can be vary a good deal from faculty member to faculty member in terms of what they emphasize in their particular student selection and training)
Eastern Michigan
Nova Southeastern
Kentucky

There are many others to be sure... I'd suggest checking the Insider's Guide to Clinical and Counseling Psychology. While their balance ratings aren't always accurate, it's a REALLY good place to start.

Good luck! :luck:

I second the Insider's Guide. Or you can take a ganger at the goggle map that someone put together of all the APA-accredited programs on this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boston University bills itself as balanced.

I think the point about variance between faculty members is important. I interviewed at one of the schools mentioned in the first post and was told by one professor that he only wanted students who were sure they wanted an academic career.

Sometimes you can figure this out a bit by checking out faculty members bio pages.

Boston University bills itself as balanced.

I was going to mention them.

Check out their mission statement:
http://www.bu.edu/psych/graduate/clinical/answers/mission.shtml

A lot of the research done there is focused on psychotherapy. Barlow et al are putting a lot of work into the "Unified Protocol" to treat all anxiety and unipolar mood disorders. (If you want some references for this, let me know. I have about a half dozen papers on it.)