Question For Any Former Paramedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I’ve wandered over from the premed forum. Long story short, my undergrad timeline has become really messed up, and I have some extra time. I’m currently an EMT-B with my local fire department and ambulance service. I have the opportunity go on and do paramedic over the next 2 years before med school.

Does anybody think that’s a good idea? Would having your paramedic certification provide any extra opportunities or advantage once done with med school?

I really like EMS and am interested in emergency medicine. I see it as way to get some early on experience and as a potential backup. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Former paramedic, currently PGY1 in EM. I recommend against it. PM me if you'd like to talk about it more.

Reactions: 2 users
Nobody outside of emergency medicine will know the difference between EMT and paramedic. If you have the time and financial resources, go ahead. You’ll feel a lot better on legitimate emergent calls. Your time would likely be better spent crushing the MCAT, keeping your grades up, and getting involved in research.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To expand on my previous post, good medics are very much underpaid and under appreciated for the amount of responsibility they assume. Anyone that can make a career in EMS as a medic with their sanity intact is one altruistic soul. I wouldn’t recommend it unless it’s something you really feel called to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Don't become a paramedic just to get in to medical school. I did that for a few years and now I'm paying for it compared to my colleagues who are younger (in regards to time and money). For me it was difference between being an attending at 28 vs early/mid thirties.

If you want to go to medical school, do the medical school things.

Reactions: 1 users
I have the opportunity go on and do paramedic over the next 2 years before med school.

Have you been admitted to medical school?

If not, your focus should be on medical school admission. It is very unlikely that EMT versus Paramedic will make a difference for medical school admission. It would be far better to spend your time enhancing your undergraduate academic record, or on the volunteer activities that admission committees seem to prefer.

If it is a choice between Playstation and paramedic, then go ahead and become a paramedic. But do not think that certification will move the needle towards medical school admission, and do not let it take the place of those activities which will increase your chance of admission.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you been admitted to medical school?

If not, your focus should be on medical school admission. It is very unlikely that EMT versus Paramedic will make a difference for medical school admission. It would be far better to spend your time enhancing your undergraduate academic record, or on the volunteer activities that admission committees seem to prefer.

If it is a choice between Playstation and paramedic, then go ahead and become a paramedic. But do not think that certification will move the needle towards medical school admission, and do not let it take the place of those activities which will increase your chance of admission.

No, plan to apply early next summer