question for current optometry students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuzQ120

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there is anything (current OD students) wish they knew before they started optometry school? Is there anything you would suggest for someone starting optometry school to do etc?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone kept telling me that optometry school would be a lot of work, and I thought yeah sure, a lot of work, I worked in the computer industry, I know what a lot of work is -- but they were right! The material isn't difficult, it's just that there's so much of it and it comes at you so quickly. The one thing you can do is to make sure you're good at time management, including making free time to enjoy yourself and relax. Optometry school is a lot of fun, but it's really easy to burn out if you don't take time to enjoy the ride.

Words of wisdom from a first quarter Optometry student. You ain't seen nothing yet-
All the best to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Reality check
Words of wisdom from a first quarter Optometry student. You ain't seen nothing yet-
All the best to you!
:p ptttthhhhp!

Guess what? I wasn't happy where I was, and I chose to do something about it. What have YOU done? bwahahahahaha yourself. :D

What have I done? I've continued to work as an optometrist making over $100,000 a year realizing I should have reached my full potential but didn't.
After 4 years and alot of hard work sleepless nights and yes you do enjoy yourself throughout the four years not to mention the tuition you too will realize you are nothing more than an optometrist. At SUNY, they are all in a different world. Much like the one you are in right now.
Just wait .............................

Reality check--

so do you regret your decision to become an optometrist?

RC is totally correct. You may listen to anyone, but in my book, working OD's opinion weight waaay more than some stupid student.

Originally posted by optcom
.....weight waaay more than some stupid student.

How polite and respectful of you.

Originally posted by r_salis
:p ptttthhhhp!

bwahahahahaha yourself. :D

That's more repectful?

I'm not going to respond to the current string of crap, but this is my responce to the actually topic.

I don't think there is anything that really SHOCKED me when I got to ICO. I guess I wish I would have been told of a few classes that would really help me when I got here though. If I could go back to undergrad, I would take an immunology and a histology class. I think they would have made the first quarter a little easier. But on the same note, they teach you what you need to know in OD school. I just think a better background would have been nice. I do agree with r_salis, the material is not to difficult, just A LOT at once.

Greetings SuzQ120,
No I do not regret my decision on becoming an optometrist. This is a very easy profession if you know what you are doing. Even treating eye diseases anterior- you have to be confident and accurate in your diagnosis and treatment plan follows although there are also exceptions to this. What bothers me is I should have aimed higher in life and gone the MD route. Who knows if I would have become an ophthalmologist or not but I'm not satisfied job wise w/ optometry. I've worked in a clinic w/MD's -private offices and currently retail. Sure you help people a great deal with there vision even w/ medication but.........it's not the same as being an ophthalmologist. Medicine and surgery if I could do it I would love to. The public perceives optometrists as second class citizens and we are not looked upon as real doctors. But who cares right? As long as you do your job properly and help people that's all that matters. The money is not there either and forget about what the AOA tells you. That is a bogus figure. Our profession is in dissaray. We are united in some respects and not united in other ways. A very political profession that has gained access thru US Legislature on expanding scope of practice and so forth.......This is good and I commend it but you wonder where are we heading? We've gained a tremendous amount of turf in therapeutic privileges and now some states are moving into surgical aspects. You really have to wonder why some OD's are referred to as optometric physicians. Is this a cry for help? Our own profession is kidding themselves. They don't know what they want and what they don't want. I've said it once twice and I'll say it again this is a waste of a profession. We serve our purpose as primary care practitioners but you really have to wonder how right are these ophth. who battle us for further rights of ours. I'm glad I'm not a chiropractor or podiatrist but really wonder what could have been if I was an ophth. These optom. students have no clue what they are in for ...........a disappointing future. Don't let me stop you on your $100,000 plus investment.
'

Hmm... an easy profession that you will make over $100,000.00/yr in which you can help people- man that sucks! We should all become secretaries.

Originally posted by Reality check
No I do not regret my decision on becoming an optometrist...I should have aimed higher in life and gone the MD route...Who knows if I would have become an ophthalmologist...it's not the same as being an ophthalmologist...Medicine and surgery if I could do it I would love to...(I) really wonder what could have been if I was an ophth...
Dude, I just don't get it,
the fact that you are unhappy with your career choice doesn't give you the right to tell us not to go into optometry.
You have mentioned before that you enjoy practicing optometry. One thing is to say that optometry "is a waste of a profession" and other thing is that you would rather be a surgeon. That's apples and oranges, that's like saying that dentistry sucks because i want to be a lawyer!
Tell me, what should I do? I don't want to go to med school, I don't want to do surgery, I don't want to be called a "physician", and I could see myself as a darn good optometrist. Should I go to med school, become an ophthalmologist and fulfill your broken dream?

Originally posted by TPMOH
Hmm... an easy profession that you will make over $100,000.00/yr in which you can help people- man that sucks! We should all become secretaries.

Just a quick note. You probably won't be making $100,000 as an OD. It doesn't happen for most. You will be comfortable but you won't be rich. Think more along the lines of $60,000 to $75,000 but that won't be for a number of years after graduation. RC while abrupt has a lot of good points. Be aware that most ODs, even those who enjoy optometry, would say that the size of today's tuition is grossly more than the monetary pay off of an OD. It is an exciting profession but there is a lot of confusion, and nearsightedness in the direction that optometry is heading. Enjoy school and the friends you make while there and then help optometry reach what it should be. Whatever you believe that to be.

Originally posted by xmattODx
Just a quick note. You probably won't be making $100,000 as an OD. It doesn't happen for most. You will be comfortable but you won't be rich. Think more along the lines of $60,000 to $75,000 but that won't be for a number of years after graduation. RC while abrupt has a lot of good points. Be aware that most ODs, even those who enjoy optometry, would say that the size of today's tuition is grossly more than the monetary pay off of an OD. It is an exciting profession but there is a lot of confusion, and nearsightedness in the direction that optometry is heading. Enjoy school and the friends you make while there and then help optometry reach what it should be. Whatever you believe that to be.

FINALLY a voice of reason!! :clap:

post of the day !! :cool: