question for Dartmouth applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthew45

Rock Chalk.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was complete at DMS on 9/5 or so. Lo and behold today I recieved a viewbook from them. There was nothing else, no generic "please apply" letter, just the viewbook.
For those of you who have invites, is this some sort of initial salvo before the invite comes? Please....:)

Members don't see this ad.

i hate to rain on your parade, but i'm guessing that dartmouth sent that to everyone. i don't know though -- it's definitely not a BAD sign. but from applying there last year, i can tell you that they LOOOOOVE to mail stuff. i think there was a time when i was getting some sort of mailing from them (various magazine type things) about once a week. if you do get an interview, they send a fun dvd to watch... you can look forward to that.
in any case, good luck!!

Hi,

I've been complete at dartmouth for almost two months, I'm guessing, and they have not contacted me about anything save sending me that viewbook.

Judd

Members don't see this ad :)
can somebody give me the link to the dartmouth online application? i seem to have lost mine...

also, the paper secondary says to type in the answers... is there any way around using a typewriter?

thanks! :)

Originally posted by 1150829
can somebody give me the link to the dartmouth online application? i seem to have lost mine...

also, the paper secondary says to type in the answers... is there any way around using a typewriter?

thanks! :)

yeah........there is an online application you can fill out instead for us people without a typewriter........check the paper they sent you.......there should be a link written on there.......i missed it the first time i read it over too..

you fill out your responses online and then you can just print it out and you are good to go.

I think the viewbook mailing is kind of random...I got one before I had even sent in my secondary.

FYI: I have been complete since 9/5 and have not received any further news...

Good luck, all!

same here, I've been complete since the beginning of august and no word.
Apparently I've heard Dartmouth likes to interview people with really high numbers first, though the school's average gpa and MCAT is lower. But in the end, they are more forgiving with grades and look beyond the #'s once they interview the cream of the crop. My numbers are average so if I do hear from Dartmouth I'm thinking it won't be for awhile.

Originally posted by Lux Aeterna
same here, I've been complete since the beginning of august and no word.
Apparently I've heard Dartmouth likes to interview people with really high numbers first, though the school's average gpa and MCAT is lower. But in the end, they are more forgiving with grades and look beyond the #'s once they interview the cream of the crop. My numbers are average so if I do hear from Dartmouth I'm thinking it won't be for awhile.

That's not something that I've heard before . . . . . where does this come from? BTW, the average incoming GPA for the class of 2007 is 3.8 - which isn't too low.

I've been complete since the middle of August and got the viewbook around the same time I sent in my secondary. No word about an interview yet.

No, it's a 3.6+ not 3.8-

How long was ya'lls secondary essays (the free response one)? I wrote about two short paragraphs.....and wondering if it might be too lenghty if I add any more.

Originally posted by birdie
How long was ya'lls secondary essays (the free response one)? I wrote about two short paragraphs.....and wondering if it might be too lenghty if I add any more.

i wrote close to a page.

Mine was probably half a page.

does dartmouth screen before it sends out secondaries? i just added it on to my AMCAS a week or so ago and was wondering how long it would take for them to send out the secondary

No, Dartmouth doesn't screen. I got their secondary waaaay before I even sent my transcripts to amcas.

I recently interviewed at Dartmouth. They sent me the DVD, which is really great, about a week or so after the interview invitation. I had never been to New England before. When I arrived in Hanover, there was peak foliage. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. Man, I hope I get in there.

I never got a viewbook, and I was complete back in early August. I come from the NH/MA area and have had ties to NH. I guess this might not be looking too good for me then ? I had been hoping DMS would recognize their fellow North Country citizen ...

woolie,
I think DMS actually does look favorably on New England students. At least that's the impression I got when I interviewed. I think I received the viewbook before my interview invite, but I'm not sure. Maybe you should call to see if your file is complete. Maybe your LORs aren't in yet.