question for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Julliet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
undefined
Is there any IMG in the forum? Does anybody have information about how easy or hard is to get a waiver from a J1 visa after being done with Pathology residency? Any website to check?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I speak English as well as the best of them, as well as some American.
I am in an LCME-accredited school, yet not a US citizen.

If that qualifies me to comment, I would say......

You could try, but I would not count on getting a J1 waiver. VERY MUCH NOT count on getting a waiver, and pragmatically assume that you have to leave the US after a maximum of 7 years.

My understanding is that waivers, like H-1 visas, are only granted under very exceptional circumstances which benefit the sponsoring institution. And immigration issues usually entail a lot of paperwork (perhaps more so in recent years), which institutions in general would probably be reluctant to take on.

I was told that simply marrying an American does not work anymore! :p Ah, if only. I have my candidates all lined up.

Getting a J-1 Waiver is certainly among the more difficult mountains to climb. In theory, you can travel a path riddled with red tape, which is to get a certification that somebody absolutely needs you in an area where no other pathologist would work (I presume that you'd be required to be board certified, but know no hard facts).
Basically, if you don't have a 212(e) Waiver in your visa, it's going to be really difficult. Wouldn't even work to take shortcuts like working in Canada (unless you're Canadian) because it's a HOME country requirement.
Though it's no help to you now in your current situation, it IS possible to train in the US with a J-1 Waiver if you're sponsored directly by your training institution, not ECFMG.