D
debtisfun
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I have been thinking of an issue for quite some time, and I want to preface this by saying do not jump to bickering or nastiness due to the subject. I am just a lowly MSIII at an allopathic med school in the northeast. We also happen to have a very strong and active CRNA program at my school as well. In my observations during my surgery clerkship, my anesthesia week, and my OB/GYN clerkship, I have seen Anesthesiologists and CRNAs working together, in a perfectly collegial, and equal environment. On any given day on the OB floor, especially during the overnight shift, there may be an Anesthesiologist or a CRNA on duty, by themselves. Ditto for the OR - while there may be an anesthesiologist present, but the CRNA may do the entire case, from intubation to extubation.
It is very obvious that CRNAs are knowledgable and well-trained. But obviously then have not received the level and extent of training that Anesthesiologists have (1-2yrs nursing + 2-3 years school vs. 4 years school + 4 years residency).
My point is not one of questioning why CRNAs are given equal status with Anesthesiologists, but one of questioning the future, and that is why I have addressed this is post-residency docs. With the idea of National Healthcare looming, and the increasing number of states allowing CRNAs to practice independently of Anesthesiologists, do you see your job as threatened? I know that right now there is a shortage of ALL anesthesia providers, but CRNAs are cranking up their number bigtime (something like 100% in the past 5-7 years) and will be able to fill the void in the decently near future. With the practice of some hospitals, such as mine (a large tertiary care center) of basically treating Anesthesiologists and CRNAs as equals in terms of ability and patient management, what is stopping CRNAs from taking over Anesthesiologist jobs?
I know there are many threats to physicians from all angles, from NPs, optometrists, and even pharmacists (they are starting to do diabetic screens and stuff down south), but the CRNAs seem to have gotten to equal ground first amongst the midlevel providers. I do not want this to get into a thread-war about whether or not this is right, or to put down CRNAs in any way. I believe that everyone CAN coexist. But with my jaded eye, I see the future not of coexistance, but of decreased Anesthesiologist reimbursment, and healthcare preference for hiring CRNAs over Anesthesiologists.
As an MSIII with less than a year till my match, and someone who has immensly enjoyed his exposure to anesthesia, and is definitely considering the field, what do you have to say about this? All intelligent, and polite, comment is much appreciated. Thanks
It is very obvious that CRNAs are knowledgable and well-trained. But obviously then have not received the level and extent of training that Anesthesiologists have (1-2yrs nursing + 2-3 years school vs. 4 years school + 4 years residency).
My point is not one of questioning why CRNAs are given equal status with Anesthesiologists, but one of questioning the future, and that is why I have addressed this is post-residency docs. With the idea of National Healthcare looming, and the increasing number of states allowing CRNAs to practice independently of Anesthesiologists, do you see your job as threatened? I know that right now there is a shortage of ALL anesthesia providers, but CRNAs are cranking up their number bigtime (something like 100% in the past 5-7 years) and will be able to fill the void in the decently near future. With the practice of some hospitals, such as mine (a large tertiary care center) of basically treating Anesthesiologists and CRNAs as equals in terms of ability and patient management, what is stopping CRNAs from taking over Anesthesiologist jobs?
I know there are many threats to physicians from all angles, from NPs, optometrists, and even pharmacists (they are starting to do diabetic screens and stuff down south), but the CRNAs seem to have gotten to equal ground first amongst the midlevel providers. I do not want this to get into a thread-war about whether or not this is right, or to put down CRNAs in any way. I believe that everyone CAN coexist. But with my jaded eye, I see the future not of coexistance, but of decreased Anesthesiologist reimbursment, and healthcare preference for hiring CRNAs over Anesthesiologists.
As an MSIII with less than a year till my match, and someone who has immensly enjoyed his exposure to anesthesia, and is definitely considering the field, what do you have to say about this? All intelligent, and polite, comment is much appreciated. Thanks
