Question for LizzyM

Started by supaman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

supaman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I know you are on the Adcom of a top school.

When you see posts about certain experiences, such as "Can I take an entire semester pass fail, when I go abroad" or "How does X experience look?" you might remember some of them when you interview.

How does that affect you?
 
I interviewed about 90 applicants last year. Some of them had taken classes abroad, they all had experiences of one sort or another. Almost everything that you think makes you "unique" is something I've seen before. I've even interviewed two hot dog vendors from the same ballpark!

I've only recognized one person "in person" who I knew from SDN and that applicant was extremely non-trad. Funny thing: before I knew that I'd be interviewing that person, I got a PM asking "what should I wear to the interview".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've only recognized one person "in person" who I knew from SDN and that applicant was extremely non-trad. Funny thing: before I knew that I'd be interviewing that person, I got a PM asking "what should I wear to the interview".

That is hillarious👍 did she know who you were after the interview?
 
I interviewed about 90 applicants last year. Some of them had taken classes abroad, they all had experiences of one sort or another. Almost everything that you think makes you "unique" is something I've seen before. I've even interviewed two hot dog vendors from the same ballpark!

I've only recognized one person "in person" who I knew from SDN and that applicant was extremely non-trad. Funny thing: before I knew that I'd be interviewing that person, I got a PM asking "what should I wear to the interview".

Small SDN world :laugh:. So, did she get in? She was smart enough to take your advice.
 
I interviewed about 90 applicants last year. Some of them had taken classes abroad, they all had experiences of one sort or another. Almost everything that you think makes you "unique" is something I've seen before. I've even interviewed two hot dog vendors from the same ballpark!

I've only recognized one person "in person" who I knew from SDN and that applicant was extremely non-trad. Funny thing: before I knew that I'd be interviewing that person, I got a PM asking "what should I wear to the interview".

You say you knew the applicant from SDN, but did the applicant know you were "LizzyM" either before or after the interview? Did the applicant PM for clothing advice knowing that you were the interviewer?
 
You say you knew the applicant from SDN, but did the applicant know you were "LizzyM" either before or after the interview? Did the applicant PM for clothing advice knowing that you were the interviewer?

Until several days after the interview, the applicant did not know that I was LizzyM. I did not know until the night before the interview that I'd be interviewing someone I "knew" online.
 
LizzyM, if you don't mind my asking, who is it on your avatar?

It is Marie Rudisell who appeared several times on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno under the name "The Fruitcake Lady" (she first went on the show to show Jay how to make fruitcake.) She later answered questions posed to her by the public and was known for her forthright answers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKMS4cp7pUI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn37ABQxzVA&feature=related
 
Last edited:
LizzyM, thank you for the 5 minutes of constant laughter. The fruitcake lady is the funniest thing I have seen in a week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is Marie Rudisell who appeared several times on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno under the name "The Fruitcake Lady" (she first went on the show to show Jay how to make fruitcake.) She later answered questions posed to her by the public and was known for her forthright answers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKMS4cp7pUI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn37ABQxzVA&feature=related
AHHH!!!
This whole time I thought it was you. Whenever I read posts or letters from people, I always imagine them talking to me what they've written. This whole time, whenever you answer my posts or whenever I read your other answers, I always imagined you looking like her, sitting in a big chair with those huge cushion backs, and just dropping wisdom about MD applications and stuff.

And also for unique and non traditional, how unique would you say someone is who has started research as soon as they graduated high school (like, the summer after high schoool graduation) and has continued and is now a director of a million dollar confocal microscope equipped with high speed microscopy camera (not that this person is me or anything). Like 10 being most unique and 1 being cliched
 
did you seriously think that was her? she does not sound that old. she sounds like a New Yorker, maybe even from Jersey
 
AHHH!!!
This whole time I thought it was you. Whenever I read posts or letters from people, I always imagine them talking to me what they've written. This whole time, whenever you answer my posts or whenever I read your other answers, I always imagined you looking like her, sitting in a big chair with those huge cushion backs, and just dropping wisdom about MD applications and stuff.

When I answer your questions, I imagine myself looking like her and waving my hands in the air, but then I can't type and I go back to being myself.

And also for unique and non traditional, how unique would you say someone is who has started research as soon as they graduated high school (like, the summer after high schoool graduation) and has continued and is now a director of a million dollar confocal microscope equipped with high speed microscopy camera (not that this person is me or anything). Like 10 being most unique and 1 being cliched

That would be one in a million. And at 35,000 applications per year, I might find someone like that once in my lifetime.
 
I always thought She was a He.

according to me and you, lizzm would look like this

guidosmash.jpg
 
It is Marie Rudisell who appeared several times on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno under the name "The Fruitcake Lady" (she first went on the show to show Jay how to make fruitcake.) She later answered questions posed to her by the public and was known for her forthright answers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKMS4cp7pUI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn37ABQxzVA&feature=related

this is too funny. I honestly thought it was you in your avatar for a while but I realized that wouldn't work with the anonymity deal...:laugh:
 
I think LizzyM should start answering our questions like the Fruitcake Lady 😀

That would be super awesome!

"Since you are a mentor.... don't you think you should be using better language?"

"HELL NO!"

I loved that face she made. LizzyM should get that pic of her disgusted face and post it as his/her avatar.


Here is my other mentor: Ms. Swan ---->[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opcQdFJmalY[/YOUTUBE]
 
Last edited:
That would be super awesome!

"Since you are a mentor.... don't you think you should be using better language?"

"HELL NO!"

I loved that face she made. LizzyM should get that pic of her disgusted face and post it as his/her avatar.


Here is my other mentor: Ms. Swan ---->[YOUTUBE]opcQdFJmalY[/YOUTUBE]


I love Ms. Swan!!!!!!
They don't make them anymore though
:[