question for medical students in their late 20s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you regret starting medical school in your late 20s (ex. 27)?

• yes

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • no

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • sometimes

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • only on the very, very bad days

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

myMDdreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was pre-med during my undergraduate studies (2009-2013) and I graduated with a degree in Psychology (science GPA ~3.7, non-science GPA ~3.8). I am taking the MCAT this August.

I was initially going to apply this cycle but I won't have enough time to prepare for the June MCAT exam.

If I apply next cycle in 2017 and matriculate in 2018, I would be starting medical school at the age of 27.

Non-traditional medical students (and residents in your 30s): what has been your experience as an "older applicant"? What are your major difficulties? strengths? Would you do it again!??

Many thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I was pre-med during my undergraduate studies (2009-2013) and I graduated with a degree in Psychology (science GPA ~3.7, non-science GPA ~3.8). I am taking the MCAT this August.

I was initially going to apply this cycle but I won't have enough time to prepare for the June MCAT exam.

If I apply next cycle in 2017 and matriculate in 2018, I would be starting medical school at the age of 27.

Non-traditional medical students (and residents in your 30s): what has been your experience as an "older applicant"? What are your major difficulties? strengths? Would you do it again!??

Just stock up on some Depends and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 14 users
27 really isn't that old. Honestly.

Many schools regularly accept students in their 30s and 40s.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm incredibly grateful that I started medical school as an older student (27) because I don't think I was ready for it any earlier. I had a wonderful experience in undergrad and a great time working out in the "real world" so I don't feel like I'm missing out now that my time is so much more limited. I also feel like I was able to develop a much better attitude toward school than some of my peers which allows me to achieve better work-life balance (i.e. I've learned to not stress the small stuff, I try to stay in the moment and not fixate on negative things etc.)

It depends on the person but starting medical school in my late 20s really worked for me!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm in my late 20s and I consider myself relatively young. I mean I'm not partying like some fresh 21 yo who can "legally" drink, but I think I still have fun.

Reactions: 1 users
I have no regrets. Do I wish I were still 22-23 so I could have the extra years in my career? Sure. I'm happy I ended up being accepted when I was though, both because I got to have some great experiences after college and I needed the time to mature (definitely would not have succeeded in med school if I went straight after undergrad).

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50. I think that she's at UCSD now. Maybe UCLA.

Hello!

I started in my late 30s and I don't regret it one bit. I didn't have many real job prospects when I went back to school. So my situation is different from someone changing from a real career into medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Late 20,s here. The downside is I had to explain why my graduate degree which is in high demand with decent pay is not "good enough". I actually love what I do in terms of work also since I work in health care already so I couldn't lie and say I would be absolutely miserable doing my current job.

I had 14 applications, 10 interviews and 3 total acceptances. 6 waitlists, 1 rejection. I struggled with confidence at some of my interviews silently because I would look and realize I was the only person from a non prestigious Ivy or very well known private in my interview group . State schooler here.

I haven't started yet but at 21 when I started graduate school I was still in the mode of doing the least amount possible to get an A or A-. I never went above and beyond that level. I never volunteered for extracurriculars. Now I am mature from working I have moved from seeing education as my right to seeing it as a privelege. As I enter this year I hope that my change is perspective saves me from some of the mistakes I made getting my first degree.

I also noticed at some interviews, some of the younger applicants would gravitate towards me. They expressed their fears sometimes telling me it was their first interview or only interview. I would pep talk them the best I could and hope I really helped some of them. Because of my age and my work I haven't competed in years. Collaboration the new catch word, is my thing. I think overall maturity and age is a plus.

Reactions: 2 users
"I see many of my younger classmates worried about dating and partying and all the fun/normal things that you should be thinking about at 22."

That's exactly what deterred me from applying until now. I wanted to enjoy my early 20s, travel, have fun, and grow up. Thank you for your response, best of luck to you too!

My plan was to go in straight after UG but through a series of events, the cosmos didn't allow me to matriculate until now and for good reason. My focus is world's better than it was in UG and I've learned to not stress over the little things.

When you've been out in the real-world for a bit, you gain a wider perspective on life and, for me, a stronger sense of purpose. You're just more comfortable in your skin, I feel.

It would have been cool to start making an attending salary earlier but honestly, what's a few years when that time was filled enjoying life and/or learning about yourself? <-- see? big picture lol

Reactions: 2 users
"I see many of my younger classmates worried about dating and partying and all the fun/normal things that you should be thinking about at 22."

That's exactly what deterred me from applying until now. I wanted to enjoy my early 20s, travel, have fun, and grow up. Thank you for your response, best of luck to you too!

I've actually noticed this A LOT with the younger people in my class and it makes me a little sad for them. On top of having the regular stress of school a lot of them worry about finding someone to date and have expressed that it's incredibly hard for them and somewhat depressing when they think about the future. Many of them feel they have no options so there's no point while others serially date random people they meet through dating apps but struggle to find a person they can connect with that is up for the challenge of having a partner in medical school. I know that many many doctors meet their spouses while they're in medical school so I'm sure they will be fine in the end but I know it's a very real topic of anxiety for some and I'm kind of glad to be past that.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 30 and just now applying. Threads like this make me laugh.