Question for Military veterans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xcar_

Eyes closed can't see
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Writing isn't my strongest skill bare with me. I current have a c1.75 gpa with 37 earned credits and a couple of W & F's in my transcript 10+. I struggled with school for 8 or so semesters. I lost my scholarships so I was not going to pull out loans, I basically ran out of money for college. Finally decided to call it quits about two years ago. I've been working really odd jobs and it has been hard to maintain myself.

Well I want to join the Military but as you all know when I get out I plan on pursing my journey to become a doctor. I was wondering what interesting people I can get from the shadows with this post who have had a similar situation as me.

I encourage you all to not give me some insight on what ways the military has helped you achieve your goal into getting into med school. NOTE: I don't plan on reenlisting just a one term and get out.

1) What were some of the MOS or jobs you had while in the military?
2) What are some of the advantages you (have/had) over classmates now?
3) What are some of the things you wish you knew before you joined?
4) What do you recommended I look at before deciding to enlist?

Just note I'm 23 years old. And please I ask that people who joined with a similar situation or solution to respond. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Can I be honest? You've got problems. They aren't insurmountable, but they are real. Fortunately you aren't a non-traditional student yet, but you will be when you get this mess fixed.

Well I want to join the Military but as you all know when I get out I plan on pursing my journey to become a doctor. I was wondering what interesting people I can get from the shadows with this post who have had a similar situation as me.

I encourage you all to not give me some insight on what ways the military has helped you achieve your goal into getting into med school. NOTE: I don't plan on reenlisting just a one term and get out.

Just note I'm 23 years old. And please I ask that people who joined with a similar situation or solution to respond. Thank you.

1) I was Air Force and I did computer work. If you're planning on a career in medicine, I'd look towards something medical as that's basically free training and experience in the field you want to end up in. You'll need to take the ASVAB to get in and you'll want to score as high as you can so you can get your pick of jobs.

2) Well I can say that being in the military taught me how to push through what I thought were my limits. Also there are a LOT of free resources for getting a degree. DSST and CLEP tests are free if I recall. Tuition matching isn't uncommon and you can (and should) invest in the Montgomery GI Bill. Also, a lot of sergeants will let you study during duty time, depending on your job (and the sergeant of course).

3) I wish I had been in better shape as it would have made Basic Training a little easier. Other than that, read military forums regarding the specific jobs you're interested in.

Also, don't squander your time like a lot of military people do (myself included). Take advantage of every resource available. My friend had his BS degree finished before his 4-year service was up.

4) You should take the ASVAB and do as well can you can on it. You can talk to recruiters and ask them what medical-related jobs are available that they can offer someone with your score. Make sure you go in with a guaranteed job. If they can't guarantee the specialty you want, walk away.

The military is a great opportunity if you go in with the right attitude.

Members don't see this ad :)

I joined because I was racking up debt for college and was just pissing away loan money not sure what I wanted to do. I was also not doing great in my courses because I was super unfocused. I knew I needed some growing up, and that the military would give me opportunities I wouldn't be able to get on my own. It did all those things, so it was definitely worth it. But you have to embrace it and be willing to let it shape you and help you grow, or you will have an absolutely miserable time.

As for your questions:

1) I am in the Navy. I'm in a linked postbacc through USU right now, so I'm just a student; however, when I was doing the do on the daily, I had a weapons job (specifically, I was a GM or Gunner's Mate). I had a pretty good medical background before the Navy though, so at my last command, I did a lot of work with the medical department. If you decide to enlist, I would say definitely try to get a job in a medical field. It will give you a lot of paid clinical experience and exposure to physicians you can shadow and/or get LORs from.

2) I finished my bachelors degree while active duty. The Navy (and other branches) provide what's called Tuition Assistance, where they will pay $255/credit at any college. So I did two years of school on the military's dime, and I didn't tap into my GI Bill or incur a longer commitment. All I had to do was complete an online training and have all my qualifications done.

Besides not having to worry about how I was going to pay for college, I had the maturity and skills to really be able to prioritize and not get overly stressed over things like tests or projects.

I will say, however, that trying to do your degree while on active duty has disadvantages as well. Yes, I was able to study and do homework during downtime while on duty (a 24-hour shift on top of my 50-hour work week, something that can occur between every 3 and every 10 days depending on the type of command you're at in the Navy) and while underway or on deployment; however, those things also get in the way. When you're working over 80 hours per week, finding time to fit in school work is difficult. Additionally, sometimes your situation is such that you can't access your school stuff. I got a B+ in Calc 3 because I couldn't take the final exam due to an operational situation on deployment. I'm just fortunate that I had such a high average in the class prior to the final that it didn't cause me to do worse than a B+.

3) I definitely wish I would have known about things like standing duty, what deployment/underways are really like, and about cranking (working for 90 days in the galley--something almost everyone does once). I still would have joined, but it was a rude awakening showing up to my first command and finding out I had to work for 36 hours straight the next day.

4) Choose your branch wisely. The AF and the Navy probably give you the best chance of getting school done while still active duty. Our deployments are also nicer. I'd rather spend 7 months on a boat hitting awesome ports on the way in and out than getting shot at in the desert for a year. Navy deployments are no joke, but your main risks are damage control casualties--not bullets from some dingus you can't even see.

I may be the minority here but here's my opinion:

Do a 4 year with the Army (shorter if they're currently available). Get a Ranger contract, or alternatively, but less ideal, an airborne contract then do Ranger school. You'll get your dick kicked in for 4 years, but everything else in life will seem like a walk in the park after that... though you may come out of it with little to no f'ks left to give in civilian life. IIRC you can do either as a medic.

Infantry - airborne, ranger, jumpmaster, scout, EMT (an anomaly of the TO&E in the 82nd abn when I was there)

Mental toughness, discipline. Yes, there is something to be said for the ability to go to school, have easy deployments, better living conditions, and not getting shot at, but IMO that is not what service is about. Since you're only looking at one enlistment, then pre-med, the more technical stuff won't really benefit you (in terms of job skill, security clearance, etc.) as much as if you were transitioning to a parallel civilian job. Go for a medical or combat job in rapid deployment unit, and commit to achieving the best experience for yourself in the military, not the best setup for when you get out.

The military will screw you if you let it. Always look out for yourself first.

Look at yourself. Be sure of what you want to get out of it, then seek advice from service-members/veterans, who ARE NOT active recruiters. Research all the jobs available to you and decide based on that, not what they offer you. Don't let a recruiter talk you into anything. They are a bunch of lying used car salesmen. Know what you want and don't be afraid to walk to another service.

Most of importantly, join because you want to serve. Not for the benefits, or because you want an application booster. TBH the benefits aren't all that great in comparison to what you give for them. It is an honor, privilege, and a sacrifice to serve; and you should do so because of what you can contribute, not what you can gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was a combat engineer

none as I didn’t gain entrance I may be a jaded reapplicant though (on 4 WL's currently).though there are advantages for getting interviews and your foot in the door. I have discipline; however, I interview poorly because I seem to come off cold though I think i'm personable and have been called so before maybe i'm too special (lol jk I need to square away my app and start again working on my communication skills). Not even a purple heart or a commendation for valor will get you an outright acceptance to medical school. I am living proof of that. discipline is really important and the military will give you that. motivation is fickle but discipline is forever resilience is also important. you need to learn how to fail and fail better each time.

you better be in shape both mentally and physically. the military will mess with you both ways and you better be ready for it. I agree that you should make the most out of the military because it will screw you if you let it. maybe do 68W or navy corpsman if you want some good experience but you should just try to do really well on the asvab and see what you can get from there.

look at where you want to be in 5 years and decide if the military will really get you there. I know that is vague but you have to be prepared for anything that can happen while you're in the service even if you lose your passion for medicine you need to have a backup plan even if it just staying in the military until you retire.

Last edited:
-Quick advice try to go into the military in Texas, this will set you up in the long run.
-Study like hell for your entrance exam (Do not take the ASVAB), take the test that has no time limit
-try to be a medic
-Do the shortest amount of time possible i.e 3 yrs
-Get out of the military in a state with BS+MD program (7yrs schooling)
-Do the BS+MD program (Most dont need MCAT)

Not sure what military you joined, but the US military requires a qualifying score on the ASVAB to enlist.
Thats the thing, there is an alternate test that you can take now with no time limit and its not the asvab. (*I had to take the asvab when I joined in 2008)

Thats the thing, there is an alternate test that you can take now with no time limit and its not the asvab. (*I had to take the asvab when I joined in 2008)

Not sure where you heard this. I’ve never heard of an alternate test, and every single person I’ve seen come into the Navy at least has taken the asvab. Additionally, a quick search lists the ASVAB as the required test. I can ask my recruiter buddy, but I’m pretty sure you still need the ASVAB.

What’s this alternate test called?

Not sure where you heard this. I’ve never heard of an alternate test, and every single person I’ve seen come into the Navy at least has taken the asvab. Additionally, a quick search lists the ASVAB as the required test. I can ask my recruiter buddy, but I’m pretty sure you still need the ASVAB.

What’s this alternate test called?
"Its the PiCAT, its unproctored, you have 24hrs to take it after you finish you go to the MEPS to do a 20 minute verifying test" according to my battle on a recruiting assignment in Texas.

Reactions: 1 user
"Its the PiCAT, its unproctored, you have 24hrs to take it after you finish you go to the MEPS to do a 20 minute verifying test" according to my battle on a recruiting assignment in Texas.

Yeah I just got the same info. Apparently you have to go to meps after and take a short assessment to verify that you didn’t cheat while taking it. They had that when I took the ASVAB in 2011, but it was only used as a prescreen to make sure you’d score high enough on the real test.

Thanks for the info. I’ll suggest that to the folks who ask me about enlisting.

IF you feel you must: I’d do the following.

A) place my home of record in Texas before enlisting and qualify for the Hazelwood Act

Hazlewood Act - Texas Veterans Commission

B) 68W (combat medic) in army for one enlistment ( **line medic or end up working at sick call in the hospital** )

work closely with PAs and/or MD/DOs should you get a sick call gig and shadow when you can. Line unit will be experience to your favor with a caveat of your time

C) invest your first year in the GI Bill

Post-9/11 GI Bill Overview

D) Save your money as-much-as-you-can during first enlistment in an online savings account (ie ally) with ~1.5 - 2% apr return including your tax returns (no state income in TX so pocket that money as well).

The idea is to cover COL and book fees as much as you can while riding out the hazelwood scholarship for pre-med. Med school in TX is by far the most tuition friendly place in the country. Nonetheless save your GI Bill for med school. This outline gives you healthcare experience, a paid EMT cert, as well as more than helpful needs of covering your education costs.

This is all for nothing though if you can’t apply the discipline of the military to your studies. GPA + MCAT will always surpass “anything-and-everything-else” including military experience. Best of Luck

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Writing isn't my strongest skill bare with me. I current have a c1.75 gpa with 37 earned credits and a couple of W & F's in my transcript 10+. I struggled with school for 8 or so semesters. I lost my scholarships so I was not going to pull out loans, I basically ran out of money for college. Finally decided to call it quits about two years ago. I've been working really odd jobs and it has been hard to maintain myself.

So you're currently a civilian planning to enlist if I read that correctly? Are you joining so that you can pursue med school?

1) I had a lat move, but my last MOS held was in motor t.

2)
College: More mature than most of my classmates in college and thus had an easier time being able to do a lot of the work with less distractions since it wasn't my first time on my own.

Med school: none - many of my classmates are the same age as me, some older, some younger. The only advantage actually has nothing to do with school, but only the amount of loans/lack there-of from service.

3) N/A. I enlisted out of HS and that was my plan. I got a lot out of it. It was actually serving that paved my path to even going to college, and furthermore, med school.

4) Look at why you're enlisting.. for instance, if you think enlisting is going to give you everything you hoped for and help you get back into college and fix your GPA, and then subsequently get you into medical school, that's not the case. Being a veteran will not get you into medical school (though it can be an advantage when comparing 1:1 with the same or similar stats), though if you're active, it can provide the GI Bill to get back into college. I'm sure there are colleges that will overlook the GPA, or community college.

If that's why you're joining, though, I'd say re-evaluate. If you have other reasons for joining, then go for it. Your GPA is low, and while you may gain some discipline while serving, it doesn't stick with everyone, and this discipline doesn't always translate into schoolwork/grades. Your grades generally don't go away (save for some schools with re-take policies, but you'd have to go back to where you were if they even have this policy in place).

You say you went through 8 semesters and have a 1.75 GPA, and it will take a lot to fix that. How many credits at a time did you take? You say 37 credits, but 8 semesters, so you couldn't have been full time, or you don't have the credits due to the Fs and Ws.

Hey brother. I am sending you a PM. I will help any way I can.

So you're currently a civilian planning to enlist if I read that correctly? Are you joining so that you can pursue med school?

1) I had a lat move, but my last MOS held was in motor t.

2)
College: More mature than most of my classmates in college and thus had an easier time being able to do a lot of the work with less distractions since it wasn't my first time on my own.

Med school: none - many of my classmates are the same age as me, some older, some younger. The only advantage actually has nothing to do with school, but only the amount of loans/lack there-of from service.

3) N/A. I enlisted out of HS and that was my plan. I got a lot out of it. It was actually serving that paved my path to even going to college, and furthermore, med school.

4) Look at why you're enlisting.. for instance, if you think enlisting is going to give you everything you hoped for and help you get back into college and fix your GPA, and then subsequently get you into medical school, that's not the case. Being a veteran will not get you into medical school (though it can be an advantage when comparing 1:1 with the same or similar stats), though if you're active, it can provide the GI Bill to get back into college. I'm sure there are colleges that will overlook the GPA, or community college.

If that's why you're joining, though, I'd say re-evaluate. If you have other reasons for joining, then go for it. Your GPA is low, and while you may gain some discipline while serving, it doesn't stick with everyone, and this discipline doesn't always translate into schoolwork/grades. Your grades generally don't go away (save for some schools with re-take policies, but you'd have to go back to where you were if they even have this policy in place).

You say you went through 8 semesters and have a 1.75 GPA, and it will take a lot to fix that. How many credits at a time did you take? You say 37 credits, but 8 semesters, so you couldn't have been full time, or you don't have the credits due to the Fs and Ws.
More like 7 semesters full time. I had one semester where I had a W. But I never attended the class and it was suppose to be dropped due to my schools policy. My Gpa is based on the first university I went to and they grade the hardest out of every school I transfer grades over to. I applied to out of state and my Gpa stands 2.1 at every school. So there's that.

I'm not joking because I think the military would look good on my resume but I second guess my decision of going to school right now. I've got accepted to a school and actually don't know if I should go community college route and transfer to a University over in that areas ( CA ).

My biggest concern is learning the material and going to a school that fits me. The loans or money I'm not really worried about.

I even thought about apply to COLLEGES IN UTAH. I enjoy the cold weather. So that's nothing.

I'm sandwiched. Just might take a risk and go to a college in Utah.

I am a little different in that I joined the army reserve while in undergrad. I trained as a practical nurse which required training as a medic first. This meant that when I went back to undergrad I was still in the reserves. It also meant I had a license which let me do a well paying job on my schedule through a registry (would get offered jobs for the day at different facilities and be able to say yes or no depending on if I needed to study or whatever. It also meant that when I got into med school I was already used to talking to patients and doctors as well as doing scut type stuff like drawing blood or placing foleys. I had a rudimentary understanding of a lot of the practical aspects of what we were learning so some stuff was like a review and that made it so I was not learning everything from scratch. Financially I was ahead because of gi bill, tuition assistance, and being able to continue working intermittently the first two years (as well as the fact I met my husband in training and he had a well paying job).

What I wish I had known? That **** would happen that would result in getting deployed in the middle of third year of med school. That the bureaucracy of active duty can be incredibly annoying.

What to look at? Yourself and your reasons for joining. If a big part of it isn't because serving your country appeals to you then you will be unhappy.

More like 7 semesters full time. I had one semester where I had a W. But I never attended the class and it was suppose to be dropped due to my schools policy. My Gpa is based on the first university I went to and they grade the hardest out of every school I transfer grades over to. I applied to out of state and my Gpa stands 2.1 at every school. So there's that.

I'm not joking because I think the military would look good on my resume but I second guess my decision of going to school right now. I've got accepted to a school and actually don't know if I should go community college route and transfer to a University over in that areas ( CA ).

My biggest concern is learning the material and going to a school that fits me. The loans or money I'm not really worried about.

I even thought about apply to COLLEGES IN UTAH. I enjoy the cold weather. So that's nothing.

I'm sandwiched. Just might take a risk and go to a college in Utah.

I'm not sure what you mean with other schools giving you a 2.1 GPA... When you transfer, your numerical grade doesn't go anywhere, and GPAs from old schools don't factor into a new school. Meaning... if you transfer and get 1 semester of straight As... you're GPA at the new school will be a 4.0, but you will still have the 2.1 on record. Whatever letter grade you received is the letter grade you have for those classes, including when you apply to med school. So when you would use a common application system, you would enter in all of your grades as per the institution that granted the grade, regardless of their grading policies. While some places my take into consideration where the grade came from, that will still not change your GPA.

Joking? I'm guessing typos (joining?).. Go where is the cheapest and see how you do with going back to school. Community college will probably be your best option right now IMO, in terms of school.

If you're looking to join, then great, just don't do it for school/GI Bill or with any thought that it will help you get into med school down the line. Do it if it's something you really want to do. Military life isn't for everyone, and the unhappiest are those who join for money, bonuses, GI Bill, etc, compared to those (generally speaking) who join because they want to serve.

Good luck!

Military Policeman (31b)

Discipline, feeling that nothing is ever really that bad. EVER, GI Bill, being able to go days and days without sleep

How much BS you deal with regarding incompetent leaders. Putting your life at risk over stupid ****. The enemy while deployed is much less bothersome than your own incompetent officers

Look at all of your options, choose something with a good bonus and something that will better you.

Last edited:
I answered your numbered questions PM me if you have more, specific questions. Its hard to paint with a broad brush and some things I'd rather not say here.

Last edited:

1 - USMC unmanned aircraft pilot. Lots of collateral duties (ops & training)
2 - Better equipped to deal with stress than most. Not having to worry about carrying two jobs like some of the kids I did my degree with was nice. Knowing the consequences of failure from living in it for an entire enlistment (5.5 years).
3 - On active duty I never got anything done for myself school-wise - always in the field
4 - If I had it to do over again I would have gone Navy green side Corpsman or Air Force PJ. More medically related and still hard core. but I just had to be a Marine. No guts no glory, death before disco, and all of that.