Question for Mormons @ Temple, VCU and everywhere else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow. Reminds me of Lilburn Boggs...maybe we should pack up our wagons and head out west again. How do adcoms know who's mo anyways?? It must be our charm and rediculously good looks?

When an aplicant is a 24 year old white male who went to byu, has a wife and two kids, is from Utah and speaks Spanish they get a little suspicious.

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied to dental schools in 2004 from BYU the acceptance rate was 98%. The average DAT score for AA was a 22 and for PAT was a 21. The average GPA was a 3.6. Now according to BYU's website, 62% were accepted for the graduating class of 2006. Their average DAT score for AA was a 19.8 and for PAT was 19.8. Their average GPA was an overall 3.43 and a science of 3.2. Seems to me that the high performance of applicants has decreased a bit. But I'm not sure that explains the entire 36% decrease in acceptance in just two years. As an additional point, the total number of applicants from BYU in 2004 was roughly 200 and over 180 were accepted. In 2006, over 300 students applied and 189 were accepted. So, even more were accepted in 2006 than 2004. So perhaps, nothing has changed except that the number or low quality applicants has increased. Here is the link to the source information: http://http://ccc.byu.edu/healthpro/documents/predental/2006-Stats-Summary2.xls

At Pacific, the dental students (both LDS and non-LDS) absolutely noticed a difference in the number of applicants being accepted. At an alumni meeting, one of the administrators asked a former BYU student and Pacific alum if LDS alumni did not contribute back to Pacific because they pay a chunk of their income to tithing. I don't remember what the alumni's response was, but I thought it was revealing to peek into the minds of the administration on this topic.

When I applied to dental schools in 2004 from BYU the acceptance rate was 98%. The average DAT score for AA was a 22 and for PAT was a 21. The average GPA was a 3.6. Now according to BYU's website, 62% were accepted for the graduating class of 2006. Their average DAT score for AA was a 19.8 and for PAT was 19.8. Their average GPA was an overall 3.43 and a science of 3.2. Seems to me that the high performance of applicants has decreased a bit. But I'm not sure that explains the entire 36% decrease in acceptance in just two years. As an additional point, the total number of applicants from BYU in 2004 was roughly 200 and over 180 were accepted. In 2006, over 300 students applied and 189 were accepted. So, even more were accepted in 2006 than 2004. So perhaps, nothing has changed except that the number or low quality applicants has increased. Here is the link to the source information: http://http://ccc.byu.edu/healthpro/documents/predental/2006-Stats-Summary2.xls

Great info. Does anyone know of any other schools that have such stats available on their website? No wonder so many people from BYU get in to dental and medical schools. They seem to have their act together and really try to help their studetns get ready for DS/MS by having all kinds of information and being able to set their best foot forward. Kudos to BYU!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a question in the application that requests one's religious affiliation? How would a school know if one is "mormon". It is similar to the Jew situation. Do they ask if you're a Jew, Catholic, Mormon or whatever? No they don't. It's getting more competitive to get in to dental school. Get better grades and a higher DAT.

Enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is getting ******ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh MY HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOSH DARN SHUT THIS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLIP:sleep:

Jiggity jiggity jiggity

In before the close!

I haven't posted in months because most of the threads bore. However, this topic is mildly interesting. I am class of 2010 at Marquette, there are 5 "Mo's" in my class. The class ahead of mine has about 12, above them were about 20 and the year before that 20+. Four years ago there was a class election where one of the Mo's defeated one of the native Wisconsinites for class president. It so happened that the student who lost the election is the son of a local dentist who is a donor and is involved with the alumni organization. At the urging of his disgruntled son, this gentlemen drummed up some anti-mormon-dental student sentiment among the alumni and communicated this to the school. Since this time, the number have dropped quite a bit. CLEAR DISCRIMINATION. But its a private school funded largely by donors, it's their perogative. As Javadi noted, the quality across the board has come down, and this no doubt has contributed to the decline. The year I applied I had 3 friends at BYU going through the cycle with me, they had 19's on the DAT and 3.5's (ish). They were not interviewed however. I have classmates at Marquette, not from wisconsin, who scored 15's and 16's on the DAT and got in with 3.0 gpa's. So, I am thinking quality of candidate may not tell the whole picture here. Long post, sorry about that.

To answer a previously posted question: when you apply from BYU, Utah State, Weber State or the U. of Utah, it is assumed that you are likely Mormon. Thats how people know.

"I have classmates at Marquette, not from wisconsin, who scored 15's and 16's on the DAT and got in with 3.0 gpa's. So, I am thinking quality of candidate may not tell the whole picture here." - from above post

Well, Marquette may have a little more going on behind the scene. I'm class of 2011 at a very quote-unquote prestigious dental school with a small class size. I had a 24 DAT and 3.9 GPA with pages of ec's. I interviewed and was accepted to every school I applied with the exception of Marquette. No hard feelings ( I actually laughed at the notifications they sent me telling me I wasn't quite qualified, and that I should apply the next year). I guess, in a nutshell, just like life outside of dental school, that nothing's "fair." Deal with it. BTW, I'm not mormon, and the number of mo's at my school has also decreased. No one really cares or talks about it.

We have 12 incoming freshman at OHSU from BYU this year. And that's just the BYU kids. I'd say there's probably around 15-18 mormons in our class of 75.

I'm at Temple and I got word from a very reliable source that out of 80 or so interview invitations to kids of Utah only about 20 came. That may have something to do with it too.

For the Jewish person on this thread. The persecution of your people has been highly publicized. The persecution of the Mormon people has not been. They're a little sensitive to discrimination because of all the stuff that has happened to them and because of how poorly the media often portrays the Mormon religion. You'd be hardpressed to find someone in the U.S. who does not know about the holocaust. I'm fairly confident that the cast majority of Americans don't know about the extermination order in Missouri that made it legal to kill a Mormon until 1977. All I'm saying is there is some background to it.

To those who think they're not getting in based on religion. Get over it and deal with it. Admissions to any professional school is crap shoot anyway.

There's 17 LDS guys in the D1 class here at ASDOH, great guys all of them. What they told me was that the cheating scandal at UNLV involved all mormons, I think about 10-15, and I think almost all of them were kicked out. So perhaps thats why schools have cut back on acceptance. On a side note, I haven't witnessed any exclusivity on their part here. Everybody shares everything and helps everyone, mormons included. They don't come out to the bars or go to many of the parties, but I imagine thats because they don't drink. Nothing wrong with that.

This should be good news to all the starving dentists in Utah and Mesa. These guys may now be able to pay off their student loans.

The fact that Utahn's dont contribute back to their alma mater's is not news. My dental school had 209 graduates practicing in the greater Salt Lake area in the year 2006. When the Associate Dean from the school attended the Utah Dental Meeting as a speaker, and parlayed the event into a dinner and fundraiser, 7 graduates attended. Yes, 7. That is total BS.

The reason they have poor alumni contribution in Utah could be for multiple reasons. One is likely geography, its far away, no sporting or social events for people to gather at (these are the primary way schools get contributions). May be financial, but unlikely. I like to make fun of the pay cut Utahns take to go home, but they probably still do fine. Many contribute generous amounts to their church (which is very admirable). Some think they got ripped off on tuition by being out-of-staters. But whatever the reason, I know hit is a sore subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's 17 LDS guys in the D1 class here at ASDOH, great guys all of them. What they told me was that the cheating scandal at UNLV involved all mormons, I think about 10-15, and I think almost all of them were kicked out. So perhaps thats why schools have cut back on acceptance. On a side note, I haven't witnessed any exclusivity on their part here. Everybody shares everything and helps everyone, mormons included. They don't come out to the bars or go to many of the parties, but I imagine thats because they don't drink. Nothing wrong with that.

Mormon here. I can tell you honestly that's why a lot of Mormon kids do well. We just channel all of our energy into other things (like church stuff:laugh:). I'm not saying that all of them are that way, but a lot are.

Wouldn't that be some sort of discrimination and highly illegal? That's like some school saying, "Lets not accept many Asians this cycle."

Not Mormon here, but that's like a lawsuit waiting to happen if it could be proved.

What the heck, do Asians do anything wrong here to be mentioned about as an example?
Love plz :love:

I'm at Temple and I got word from a very reliable source that out of 80 or so interview invitations to kids of Utah only about 20 came. That may have something to do with it too.

For the Jewish person on this thread. The persecution of your people has been highly publicized. The persecution of the Mormon people has not been. They're a little sensitive to discrimination because of all the stuff that has happened to them and because of how poorly the media often portrays the Mormon religion. You'd be hardpressed to find someone in the U.S. who does not know about the holocaust. I'm fairly confident that the cast majority of Americans don't know about the extermination order in Missouri that made it legal to kill a Mormon until 1977. All I'm saying is there is some background to it.

To those who think they're not getting in based on religion. Get over it and deal with it. Admissions to any professional school is crap shoot anyway.

I'm not sure what the Holocaust has to do with getting accepted to dental school... but I agree with your final point. Acceptance to dental school has nothing to do with religion, Jewish, Mormon, Christian, Buddhist or otherwise...

We have about 5 mormons in our class, maybe 8-10 in the third year class, a few more in both the second and first year class. Numbers here are staying about the same. And yes, they do all hang out together, don't really socialize with anyone else, won't share old documents with anyone else etc. They have a gmail account that they can all log into to share information, and won't allow anyone else to have access. I'm not bitter and don't care either way, just sharing my thoughts and giving a one up for schools not lowering acceptance of mormons.

hahahaahhahahaahah:laugh:

I'm Mormon. I went to BYU and at the time I applied to VCU I had residency in Virginia. When I interviewed at VCU, I was told many things from upperclassmen. I was told that I was a shoe-in for acceptance because I was Mormon, went to BYU, and had Virginia residency which was supposedly "amazing". Anyway, I was also told though that VCU wanted to get away from being a "Mormon school" because "Mormon Alumni don't give donations after they graduate".

Amazingly enough, I didn't get accepted at VCU and while I will forever wonder if that is the case, it doesn't matter because I did get in somewhere and will be a dentist.

I have also noted a sharp decrease in the Mormon acceptance rate at my dental school and a sharp increase in Asian acceptance. Now, that I'm hearing that this is occurring across the country, I can only deduce that some kind of memo or seminar or whatever has "educated" multiple schools on alumni donation by categories of religion, ethnicity, etc.

So, I have to agree with the schools on this one. Like I said, I'm a Mormon from Virginia. When I lived in Utah for four years, I easily noted that MORMONS ARE CHEAP. This is an easy observation from someone within the Mormon community but outside of Utah. I was a server at the Olive Garden in Provo, which exposed me to many Utahns. On multiple occasions, I overheard customers "educating" each other on how to calculate a tip for the server. The common saying was "You wouldn't give the Lord more than 10%, so you shouldn't give your waiter more than 10%." At first, I thought it was a joke but it is a real mentality among Mormons. Mormons seem to pride themselves on being "frugal" when in actuality they are being cheapos. The only time they're "frugal" is when they're paying tips. But when they're buying houses, cars, etc. they love to go into debt. I understand that Utah is the largest debted State in the Union.

So, bottom line. Mormon's ARE cheap and probably don't give donations, and therefore you can't blame the dental schools for figuring this out and making adjustments. Mormon's are smart, nice, full of integrity that dental schools need BUT THEY'RE CHEAP AS *ELL!

This should serve as a lesson to Mormons in the future.

Last edited:
Aren't you supposed to be watching general conferance and not blogging on student doctor.

Tooth's post I find to be very enlightening and a fun perspective, thanks. I was expecting my dental class at LSU to be ~30% Mo as the national statistics of dental student I had once read said. But, we have 0 in our class. Granted it's like Baptist central here, but as much as Mo's value education and the ability to make money, I'm surprised no qualified applicants got through. I would have loved trying for four years to get one to have a beer with me. :smuggrin:

So, newly or soon to be newly matriculated Mo's, the rumors around here at Temple is that Temple only admitted 2 Mo's this year (compared to over 30 my year). I also heard that VCU has wanted to change its rep as a "Mormon" school and drastically reduced the number of Mormons they admitted. Since I have no real desire (though I don't mind, it is not that I don't like you, I just don't really talk to anyone) in meeting underclassmen and asking them, I thought I would come here. Whats the 411? Upper-class Mo's want to know. :D

I'm a D1 at Temple and from what I know there are far less Mormons in our class than in previous classes. I don't even know ONE that is in our class...I am sure there are a few, but I personally do not know of any.

So, newly or soon to be newly matriculated Mo's, the rumors around here at Temple is that Temple only admitted 2 Mo's this year (compared to over 30 my year). I also heard that VCU has wanted to change its rep as a "Mormon" school and drastically reduced the number of Mormons they admitted. Since I have no real desire (though I don't mind, it is not that I don't like you, I just don't really talk to anyone) in meeting underclassmen and asking them, I thought I would come here. Whats the 411? Upper-class Mo's want to know. :D

I graduated from Temple in 2002. When I was an entering freshman in 1998 there were only 1-2 seniors in the graduating class that were mormons. The class 0f 2000 had about 5. The class of 2001 only had a few if any - don't remember. My class - 2002 had 6. The class of 2003 had a few more - I think around 10. Some of the later classes seemed to have some larger numbers - but nothing extrememly large.

I do know when I was going to school the schools that typically had a lot of LDS students were Case, Creighton, Louisville, and VCU. I don't know how things have changed with UNLV and Arizona.

It's because of that attitude. Every "MO" I knew at school wanted to go back to Utah, Ariz, or idaho (don't ask why). Maybe dental schools are looking at retaining some students in the state that the school is in and know that there is little chance any of the mormons will stay.

This is certainly an interesting thread.

If some are wondering why "MO's" like to move back to AZ, UT and wherever else they originate from let's look at it like this (besides the post that states they are more comfortable with their own or something like that); temple, temple, temple gotta spend time in temple.

I don't know and really don't care to much about whether "MO's" get into dental school I only care if there is a disproportional amount considering the vast numbers of those that apply each year. This in no way constitutes an endorsment for any type of discrimmination.

I am sure that there are plenty of non-mormon applicants that meet the grade but due to influences (such as alumni pouring money into school) then there is unfair advantages being levyed to those applicants that are associated with the alumni (in any form).

One poster stated that "that everyone in our class of 100 gets along well even the MO's" or something like that. Well congratulations. Since it is the beginning of class and your dental career is only starting I am sure that you will see the colors change soon enough.

We all like to stick with who, what, where we feel comfortable. We just do. It's human nature.

I had the opportunity to visit UNLV earlier this year. I met a few instructors and talked to a few students. It's not surprising to me that UNLV has a high number of "MO's" since it is so close to UT and UT does not have their own dental school (yet).

But I was standing and talking to some of the students (5 or so) and one gentleman asked me "are you LDS?" I said no and he and 2 other students stopped talking (in the middle of our conversation) and walked out and got into their cars and left. Did not say gotta go, nice to meet you, take care, hope to see you around, nothing.

What kind of an impression does that make? I understand that one mormon's attitude does not constitute the whole however I have been told differently by an ex-communicated mormon friend.

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to all of you this coming and future years and congratulations on making it to dental school.

It's because of that attitude. Every "MO" I knew at school wanted to go back to Utah, Ariz, or idaho (don't ask why). Maybe dental schools are looking at retaining some students in the state that the school is in and know that there is little chance any of the mormons will stay.

If some are wondering why "MO's" like to move back to AZ, UT and wherever else they originate from let's look at it tlike this (besides the post that states they are more comfortable with their own or something like that); temple, temple, temple gotta spend time in temple.

I don't know and really don't care to much about whether "MO's" get into dental school I only care if there is a disproportional amount considering the vst numbers of those that apply each year. This in no way constitutes an endorsment for any type of discrimmination.

I am sure that there are plenty of non-mormon applicants that meet the grade but due to influences (such as alumni pouring money into school) then there is unfair advantages being levyed to those applicants that are associated with the alumni (in any form).

One poster stated that "that everyone in our class of 100 gets along well even the MO's" or something like that. Well congratulations. Since it is the beginning of class and your dental career is only starting I am sure that you will see the colors change soon enough.

We all like to stick with who, what, where we feel comfortable. We just do. It's human nature.

I had the opportunityt to visit UNLV earlier this year. I met a few instructors and talked to a few students. It's not surprising to me that UNLV has a high number of "MO's" since it is to close to UT and UT does not have their own dental school.

But I was standing and talking to some of the students (5 or so) and one gentleman asked me "are you LDS?" I said no and he and 2 other students staopped talking (in the middle of our conversation) and walked out and got into their cars and left. Did not say gotta go, nice to meet you, take care, hope to see you around, nothing.

What kind of an impression does that make? I understand that on mormon's attitude does not constitute the whole however I have been told differently by and ex-communicated mormon friend.

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to all of you this coming and future years and congratulations on making it to dental school.

If some are wondering why "MO's" like to move back to AZ, UT and wherever else they originate from let's look at it tlike this (besides the post that states they are more comfortable with their own or something like that); temple, temple, temple gotta spend time in temple.

I don't know and really don't care to much about whether "MO's" get into dental school I only care if there is a disproportional amount considering the vst numbers of those that apply each year. This in no way constitutes an endorsment for any type of discrimmination.

I had the opportunityt to visit UNLV earlier this year. I met a few instructors and talked to a few students. It's not surprising to me that UNLV has a high number of "MO's" since it is to close to UT and UT does not have their own dental school.

But I was standing and talking to some of the students (5 or so) and one gentleman asked me "are you LDS?" I said no and he and 2 other students staopped talking (in the middle of our conversation) and walked out and got into their cars and left. Did not say gotta go, nice to meet you, take care, hope to see you around, nothing.

What kind of an impression does that make? I understand that on mormon's attitude does not constitute the whole however I have been told differently by and ex-communicated mormon friend.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry about your bad experience...that would bug the crap out of me too. Hopefully you'll see in the future that we're not all like that.

Sorry about your bad experience...that would bug the crap out of me too. Hopefully you'll see in the future that we're not all like that.

I take it personally to a point I guess. I am human. However, with all the "bad" impressions taht people ahve about the mormon religion one would think that individuals that belong to the church would not act in such a way. So in this instance when should one seperate the church from the 3 people and just figure them as a#$holes and not non-LDS haters?

And to the other poster about taking a joke. Rudeness knows no bounds and neither does ignorance or spite.

An appropriate joke would be "what is the difference between an onion and a lawyer? Nobody cries when a lawyer gets chopped up:laugh:

An appropriate joke would be "what is the difference between an onion and a lawyer? Nobody cries when a lawyer gets chopped up:laugh:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!:smuggrin:

I take it personally to a point I guess. I am human. However, with all the "bad" impressions taht people ahve about the mormon religion one would think that individuals that belong to the church would not act in such a way. So in this instance when should one seperate the church from the 3 people and just figure them as a#$holes and not non-LDS haters?

And to the other poster about taking a joke. Rudeness knows no bounds and neither does ignorance or spite.

If this was done to you intentionally, shame on them. It goes completely against the teachings of the LDS church. As far as the bad impressions some people have against the Mormon church, it usually comes through misunderstanding. It is an awesome religion. If it wasn't for the LDS church, I would have not graduated from high school and would probably be in jail in who knows where. It is a long story. In short, those who follow the Christian principles that are taught in the LDS church have great lives and do not look down on others because of differences in belief. As a side note, the Mormons you meet in dental school are the biggest gunners in the world so take them with a grain of salt:).

If this was done to you intentionally, shame on them. It goes completely against the teachings of the LDS church. As far as the bad impressions some people have against the Mormon church, it usually comes through misunderstanding. It is an awesome religion. If it wasn't for the LDS church, I would have not graduated from high school and would probably be in jail in who knows where. It is a long story. In short, those who follow the Christian principles that are taught in the LDS church have great lives and do not look down on others because of differences in belief. As a side note, the Mormons you meet in dental school are the biggest gunners in the world so take them with a grain of salt:).

If you need religion to get you through life then that is something that needs to be respected by others and not looked down upon. By the same token, religion is something very personal and needs to know boundaries in a country as wonderfully diverse as ours. Dismissing someone based solely on religion is as disgusting as dismissing someone based on skin color.

An "awesome" religion is in the eye of the beholder. I'm happy your religion kept you out of trouble. Those who follow the Christian principles that are taught by the LDS church have THEIR OWN LIVES! Not "great lives" based on your own experience.

I hope you begin to understand that the world does indeed extend beyond your own beliefs and people believe in other religions just as much as you believe in your own. So who's wrong? Noone - as long as you're open to the idea of other religions and open to the idea of taking away from other religions that which is important to you and your own values.

If you're not open to that...then you're an idiot. And in my religion you're suffering in your own hell.

If you need religion to get you through life then that is something that needs to be respected by others and not looked down upon. By the same token, religion is something very personal and needs to know boundaries in a country as wonderfully diverse as ours. Dismissing someone based solely on religion is as disgusting as dismissing someone based on skin color.

An "awesome" religion is in the eye of the beholder. I'm happy your religion kept you out of trouble. Those who follow the Christian principles that are taught by the LDS church have THEIR OWN LIVES! Not "great lives" based on your own experience.

I hope you begin to understand that the world does indeed extend beyond your own beliefs and people believe in other religions just as much as you believe in your own. So who's wrong? Noone - as long as you're open to the idea of other religions and open to the idea of taking away from other religions that which is important to you and your own values.

If you're not open to that...then you're an idiot. And in my religion you're suffering in your own hell.
I think you misunderstand my quote. Nowhere did I imply that its my way or the highway. I think pretty much all religions are good and have a lot of truth in them that help people to become better if they choose. Just so it is clear, the purpose of the LDS church is not to tare down other peoples religious beliefs but to encourage everyone to follow the Savior.

I think you misunderstand my quote. Nowhere did I imply that its my way or the highway. I think pretty much all religions are good and have a lot of truth in them that help people to become better if they choose. Just so it is clear, the purpose of the LDS church is not to tare down other peoples religious beliefs but to encourage everyone to follow the Savior.

:thumbup:

So, i'm at a school with quite a few LDS students. The one thing that struck me as interesting, and has not been brought up here is that there are NO female students in that group...interesting. I might be throwing some gasoline on this fire, but please explain.

Oh, and "fair share"...wow, religion should have nothing to do with admission, don't feel so entitled.

Side note that may have nothing to do with the mormon religion. I had a professor who, while talking about how a particular tissue was the way it was, said "had evolved to be, or been created to be _____, depending on your beliefs" (talking about how it had evolved to have a particular function). This was an absolute insult to science, research, evidence, this institution, me, etc.. I have no problems with those that are highly religious, but that should not have to be said. Want to be a health professional, you should probably believe in those things that brought the health professions to where they are. It may have nothing to do with the LDS students, or their beliefs (they all may believe in evolution as we understand it, not sure). This could have simply been due to this particular doctors beliefs. It was just suprising, and was quite frustrating.

Last edited:

Except that they think all other churches are abominations created by the the devil, or do not like to tell people that until after they join?

Which brings me to one of my favorite youtube video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkjIwmA3LFQ[/youtube]

Except that they think all other churches are abominations created by the the devil, or do not like to tell people that until after they join?

Which brings me to one of my favorite youtube video

I love how some people try to use YouTube for an authoritative position of the LDS Church. That is like using it to learn how to do a root canal. If you really want to know the doctrine concerning your question, you can look on the church’s official website (http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/).

So, i'm at a school with quite a few LDS students. The one thing that struck me as interesting, and has not been brought up here is that there are NO female students in that group...interesting. I might be throwing some gasoline on this fire, but please explain.

Oh, and "fair share"...wow, religion should have nothing to do with admission, don't feel so entitled.

Side note that may have nothing to do with the mormon religion. I had a professor who, while talking about how a particular tissue was the way it was, said "had evolved to be, or been created to be _____, depending on your beliefs" (talking about how it had evolved to have a particular function). This was an absolute insult to science, research, evidence, this institution, me, etc.. I have no problems with those that are highly religious, but that should not have to be said. Want to be a health professional, you should probably believe in those things that brought the health professions to where they are. It may have nothing to do with the LDS students, or their beliefs (they all may believe in evolution as we understand it, not sure). This could have simply been due to this particular doctors beliefs. It was just suprising, and was quite frustrating.
About organic evolution, the church doesn't have an official stand on it. About your first question, in my ward/congregation there are two moms that are doing a medical residency. I have seen a lot of LDS females get a masters or doctorate degree but never a DDS/DMD. Has anyone seen this? You would think this would be more common since dentists can have a flexible schedule.

I have seen a lot of LDS females get a masters or doctorate degree but never a DDS/DMD. Has anyone seen this? You would think this would be more common since dentists can have a flexible schedule.

As I understand it, family is stressed very highly in the mormon faith. As such, women usually have their hands full at home raising these larger families. I think you probably knew the answer to your own question before you asked it. Kind of obvious ;) I think this traditional role of women is very common among different faiths including Islam.

And before you go and think I'm perpetuating a stereotype with any sort of negative connotations you should realize that I think this stress on "family values" is a great thing. I think you guys get an A+ in this regard especially with all the broken households nowadays.

I love how some people try to use YouTube for an authoritative position of the LDS Church. That is like using it to learn how to do a root canal. If you really want to know the doctrine concerning your question, you can look on the church's official website (http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/).

Are these not your missionaries? Dont they represent the church with their little name badges and their script of one-liners to pull people in? I guess since they didnt make the church look good they are dicredited.

i like dental school....

Are these not your missionaries? Dont they represent the church with their little name badges and their script of one-liners to pull people in? I guess since they didnt make the church look good they are dicredited.

Dude, those Kids are 19 years old. Do you actually think they could bible bash with a preacher? They are out trying to share something that they think will help other people not doop anybody as you would make it sound. Why do you take offense to people trying to share something they believe in? Yes they represent the Church but you can't take everything that a kid just out of high school says as scripture.

Haha, just for the record, asking someone if they would like a copy of the book of mormon is not considered a "one liner" designed to brainwash people into mormonism! But hey, you can continue to perpetuate falsities on these boards. Most people can pick out BS when they see it.

Dude, those Kids are 19 years old. Do you actually think they could bible bash with a preacher? They are out trying to share something that they think will help other people not doop anybody as you would make it sound. Why do you take offense to people trying to share something they believe in? Yes they represent the Church but you can't take everything that a kid just out of high school says as scripture.

Its not my fault your church pushes you into it when your young and vulnerable. If they could get more mature (at least a couple years more) and educated members to become missionaries like other churches they would. I allowed those missionaries to come to my house for six weeks and they gave me the same pissed off look as those dudes in the video when you point out obvious discreptencies and trust me, Im no preacher.

Haha, just for the record, asking someone if they would like a copy of the book of mormon is not considered a "one liner" designed to brainwash people into mormonism! But hey, you can continue to perpetuate falsities on these boards. Most people can pick out BS when they see it.

That might not be, but telling people "they can become a god... if you do these things..." is a pretty good one for the gullible people. Thankfully, like you said most people can pick out the BS

When did this turn into a religous discussion? This is so lame. If you want to PM someone and then argue beliefs back and forth go ahead but this is not the place. Oh and by the way there are at least three LDS females at my school, just so you know.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with that, but people will be people and that has nothing to do with "mormonism." I wouldn't say a story about how a mexican was rude to me and then say in a generalizing way that they're all like that. :hardy:

About organic evolution, the church doesn't have an official stand on it. About your first question, in my ward/congregation there are two moms that are doing a medical residency. I have seen a lot of LDS females get a masters or doctorate degree but never a DDS/DMD. Has anyone seen this? You would think this would be more common since dentists can have a flexible schedule.
I know one with several kids that just graduated from ASDOH.