Question for older medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those older, non traditional medical students out there. I was wanting to know since being a little older does constitute the minority at most schools even though the age of entering medical students is creeping up, do older medical students feel out of place being around such a younger crowd or do they feel like they fit in regardless of age differences. I would presume that most people feel like they still fit in, but I was just curious to know from people who are in medical school now.

I plan to matriculate when I am 31/32 years old into my first year. I was just wanting some feedback from people who are already there about the age differences of students and whether or not it makes a difference in the learning environment. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A good place for this question would be on <a href="http://www.oldpremeds.net" target="_blank">www.oldpremeds.net</a>

No problem!! I am 31 and beginning my fourth year. Everyone grows up quickly in med school....or at least they should!

Members don't see this ad :)
At age 31, you are still just a pup. I'm a 38-year-old first year medical student with a wife and two kids.

I have had no problems fitting in with my younger classmates. First, because most of my classmates are pretty good people. Second, because in the big picture, 38 (or 32) is not really that old. And third, I try not to act like an old fogey, as in "you kids turn that music down."

The only difference between the younger and older students in my class is that the older students tend not to go out and party nearly as hard as the younger students. I don't go to the after-test parties, for example, because I like to spend as much time as I can with my family.

I was 38 when I started medical school, and I didn't have any problem at all. In fact, during my first third year rotation, I was on a team with the youngest student in our class and we got along just fine (though he was always on the lookout for a date). The main difference is that I dont' go to many parties.

My class has about 15 or so "older" students. I'm at the high end of that category. I haven't had any problem with any of them due to age. There will be some you like better than others due to personality, but you spend so much time together (all of your classes in the first two years, plus with your teammates in clincials, often overnight in the same call room) that you get to know one another pretty well.

I'm currently doing the third year surgery clerkship in the group with the most brutal schedule. Common to have 10 cases daily, rounds on a good day start at 6pm. Elective cases on the weekends. I'm less than a month from my 41st birthday and also a liver transplant recipient. You are younger and healthier than me, if I can do it you can do it too.

Good luck.

As mpp suggested above, come to <a href="http://www.oldpremeds.net" target="_blank">www.oldpremeds.net</a> This is the web site of the National Society for Non-Traditional Pre-Medical & Medical Students, Inc. Here will find a substantial selection of resources and a discussion forum filled with other non-trad pre-meds, med students, residents & attendings who are more than happy to offer their cumulative experiences & advice simply for the asking.

We are also having our 2nd annual convention & workshop in Dallas, TX the w/e of 30 May thru 2 June 2002. I have started threads in this category & in several others with information about this program. This info is also available at the web site. Or, you may simply e-mail me and I will be happy to send you additional info.