Question for people that took the kaplan prep course for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LebLlama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you feel it helped you a great deal? Or do you think you could have done just as good without the course? Maybe the course only made the process more structured?

Also, if you take the online version, can you do it at your own pace and look at the videos multiple times?

Members don't see this ad.

lol no kiddin'. This place has everything. I should look around more =D

I shall go there

I thought about studying alone, and then I got overwhelmed. I felt like I spent all my time organizing and planning how I was going to study and not enough time actually studying.

Kaplan was useful to me because they already had everything planned and organized. I kept up with all the homework and went to a 3 hour class twice a week, and Kaplan really helped me stay accountable for my studying.

However, there were people in my class who did not keep up with the work. There were people who expected Kaplan to re-teach everything. These people did not do well whatsoever, and then they complained that Kaplan sucked. I'm not saying Kaplan is awesome- it's a good tool to help you structure your studying- but it's not some magic class that helps everyone get amazing scores without doing any work.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Fear of MCAT leads to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to the dark side "
-----------lol.......true!

I'm in the class now. I think the general consensus is that the full lengths and additonal materials are awesome. Also, it is great at a method to develop your study schedule around and as a way to force yourself to study each way. I can tell right now, however, that the verbal method SUCKS. Use EK101 for verbal.

I also recommend supplementing gen chem(TBR) and physics(TBR or nova). They give tons of practice online, so I'm not sure if adding EK 1001's would help at all.

Course quality really differs from place to place due to the different teachers in each area. In terms of the constants (books, practice material, FLs), I don't think Kaplan is worth the money for that alone. You could easily get better practice material in greater quantities for a third of the cost. Now, if the Kaplan teachers are great in your area, the class could be worth the investment. I suggest you sit in on a class to see how the teachers fair. While a course may help, keep in mind that your MCAT success is dependent solely on you.