Question for program directors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pingumd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, wondering if there is any indication (based on applications received so far) of how the trend in competitiveness is for psych this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Given the potential bias in who applies when and to which programs, I really have no idea.

It's still early. I have received ~450 applications in the first two weeks, (and have not yet reviewed them all :laugh:), so I can't comment on their "competitiveness" or "quality" as compared to previous years. However, the number of applications is consistent with previous years. Last year, I went through over 700 applications (for 4 spots). I expect to do the same this year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! I am so sorry swanny. That sounds like a monumental pain. Good luck on your important task!

Last year, I went through over 700 applications (for 4 spots). I expect to do the same this year...

That's incredible!
Can you PD's give us any general thoughts on how you begin to narrow the field?

Not that I'm a PD but here's some ways my program did it...

-USMLE scores including if the person failed multiple times.
-no mention of interest of psychiatry in the personal statement? No interview
-no LORs from a psychiatrist-no interview

I have noticed also that AMGs with either one or more failures on either step will still get preference over IMGs who have better step scores or no failures. I don't know if this applies at all psych. programs. Just an observation.

Our residency coordinator says we've already gotten some 900 applications. She didn't say anything about the quality.
I think the NRMP data from last year pretty much shows how competitive psych is these days. My opinion is the trend will continue.