Question for Pumpkin (& alike)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
GP,

In looking at path programs around I constantly face the small (community hospital) programs vs. the large academic institution ones. (In your words of wisdom) Can you explain if there is an advantage to one versus the other? Will chances for fellowship or getting jobs be greatly affected by going to a smaller program?

There are a couple that are greatly appealing but only have 8-10 residents total.

Thanks

GD

Members don't see this ad.

I checked out Muncy, Indiana's Ball memorial Hospital program last year and was very impressed with it. The only reason that we didn't end up there is that my wife didn't want to live in Muncy. You get a total of $3000 to spend on books there, which is a big plus, you've got great teachers in a very benign learning atmosphere, and you live in a town where the average cost of buying a home is $63,000. The graduates from that program all go to halfway decent fellowship programs too.
When I told the chair of path at MCW that I was going to check out a community program he told me not to do that, but when I told him it was Ball he said that one is ok. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the "2 cents" Pas...:)

Much appreciated! I personally am looking at programs in the midwest and southwest, and there are some potentially attractive places like Phoenix (St. Joe's Medical Center) that I would like to go to, but there is always the fear that you won't land a fellowship coming out! Thanks again.

GD