Question for retail pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharaday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious. Do any of your store managers give you anything for Christmas? I understand that buying something for so many people can quickly get very expensive, however I feel that what the manager at my store did is offensive. She bought expensive gifts for all the floor managers, and then bought $5 gift cards to Jimmy Johns for all the regular floor employees and the pharmacy manager. However, she gave absolutely nothing to any of the staff pharmacists or pharmacy techs. This is a very busy store, and we work ridiculously hard here. All the pharmacists end up staying late to help out all the time, and it just seems like it would be nice to be appreciated for that. I could completely understand if she couldn't afford to buy gifts for anyone, but to single out the pharmacy staff just seems disrespectful. I should mention that this shouldn't really surprise me, as I feel that she disrespects us in many other ways as well despite us always being very polite and respectful to her. I always buy small gifts for everyone in the store at Christmas, including her, but still nothing. Just wondering what takes place at other stores. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I should mention that this shouldn't really surprise me, as I feel that she disrespects us in many other ways as well despite us always being very polite and respectful to her.

I have worked with a few store managers who seem to have the attitude that the pharmacy is a different entity than the store and isn't their problem. Like when we call for extra help due to someone calling in sick, there is always an excuse why they can't help out. They will come back to do a return and despite seeing 10 people in line and cars in the drive thru with 1 tech they will leave right after they are done with the return. Yet, when you pass by on your way out you see that they are sitting down in the office idly chatting or checking email. Must be nice not to work under so much stress when we are back there getting our asses kicked.

I'm an intern. So, I have no experience as a pharmacist or pharmacy manager. But still, I see no problem with this. If you're offended... oh well. Obviously, your manager isn't your friend on a personal level, but that's it. It has nothing to do with respect.

Members don't see this ad :)
so you are upset you didn't get a $5 dollar gift card to jimmy johns? I agree, there is no issue here.

so you are upset you didn't get a $5 dollar gift card to jimmy johns? I agree, there is no issue here.

Um.. NO. :rolleyes: It is the principle of the thing! I thought people were capable of understanding that, but obviously I was wrong.

This is a non-issue. Does the pharmacy manager get a gift for all the front store employees? No? Then what is the issue?

Do you work in retail? The front store employees do not report to the pharmacy manager. They probably don't even know each others names. However, we ALL report to the store manager. For her to act like pharmacy is somehow less important IS disrespecful.

Personally, I feel bad for them. Their statistics and metrics always have pharmacy making up a big chunk...yet they have no supervisory or managerial control over us. They are just stuck hoping that we do great.

On the other hand, our metrics are always boosting theirs...maybe you do deserve a present...

Do you work in retail? The front store employees do not report to the pharmacy manager. They probably don't even know each others names. However, we ALL report to the store manager. For her to act like pharmacy is somehow less important IS disrespecful.

It may be a d**k move, but it really tow's the line of disrespect. As the pharmacy manager in an independent with a medical supply "dept" when I buy lunch for my staff I only buy for the pharmacy staff, not the medical supply staff even though I technically have authority over them. It is not out of disrespect, but I work directly with the pharmacy staff everyday.

I dont have a lot of experience in a large retail chain with a larger storefront, but my guess is that even though the store manager has authority over the pharmacy and the retail storefront they dont do much with the pharmacy. As a staffer, how much do you actually interact with the store manager? Usually the store manager stays away from the pharmacy like they are going to catch something.

Last edited:

I do work in retail, awesome to make this personal. :thumbup:

Look, you can be offended all you want, but the store manager has no reason to buy the pharmacy staff anything. kvl put it well.

How do you "report to the store manager"? Does he make your schedule? Train you? Hire you? Does he do your evaluations? Measure your performance?

My store manager does none of those things for the pharmacy, nor should he. How much do you report to him anyway? You are going out of your way to make an issue, if you make a stink about it, at best you are going to insure that he stops getting anything for anyone.

Although, if I was the pharmacy manager and I got the same present as the stock boys, I might be offended. :smuggrin:

If this were a small store like a CVS, I could see the manager actually knowing who you are, giving you a gift, etc. If this is a Wal-Mart or similar, the manager probably has no clue who you are, or has minimal to no interaction with the pharmacy staff. I wouldn't take it as an insult that I didn't get a gift. I would accept it the same way I accept not getting a gift from my brother's mother-in-law. We're tangentially related, at best.

I'm just curious. Do any of your store managers give you anything for Christmas? I understand that buying something for so many people can quickly get very expensive, however I feel that what the manager at my store did is offensive. She bought expensive gifts for all the floor managers, and then bought $5 gift cards to Jimmy Johns for all the regular floor employees and the pharmacy manager. However, she gave absolutely nothing to any of the staff pharmacists or pharmacy techs. This is a very busy store, and we work ridiculously hard here. All the pharmacists end up staying late to help out all the time, and it just seems like it would be nice to be appreciated for that. I could completely understand if she couldn't afford to buy gifts for anyone, but to single out the pharmacy staff just seems disrespectful. I should mention that this shouldn't really surprise me, as I feel that she disrespects us in many other ways as well despite us always being very polite and respectful to her. I always buy small gifts for everyone in the store at Christmas, including her, but still nothing. Just wondering what takes place at other stores. Thanks.

Who gives a **** about store management?

Probably more important things to worry about than whether you got a present fom someone you work for. Heaven forbid someone gets something & I don't. :rolleyes:
Sure, it sucks to be left out, but at the end of the day, is this how you want to want to be remembered, the guy who whined about not getting the Jimmy Johns gift card he "deserved"?

The store manager isn't your boss, the pharmacy manager is. He/She should be the one giving you a holiday gift. I don't think it is really necessary to give a gift anyway... You should also keep in mind that you are making a lot more money than the store manager and all those other employees that she bought gifts for. It is a tough time for people financially and maybe it is difficult to buy gifts for everyone in the store.