Question for TBR veterans!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YossarianLives

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive been just starting out on my TBR content review, and I know I won't have a clear picture of how I stack up until I get working through the AAMC materials, but as I get through some of the early TBR material, I was hoping that some of you that have worked through TBR could shed some light on how i might be looking.

So I've gotten through 4 sections of each of the major subjects (a few extra in bio). For each section, I do at least 25 questions the day after reviewing, then 25 questions a week or so later (phase 2). I'm just about to start the Phase 3 for each section as well.

Results so far:

Phase 1: 86% bolstered by chem and orgo, where I have been getting 90% or so.

Phase 2: 82% right now, about 500 questions in.

Just not sure what to make of these scores yet, would appreciate any insight those of you that have used TVR could give! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which version are you using? The scores on the phases are a little different between the older books and the newer books.

Overall you are doing quite well.

Then that is a GREAT score. In general, people get roughly 56 to 60% on Phase I, 62% to 67% on Phase II and and 67% to 70% on Phase III in the four science sections. These same people average about 128 on the C/P and B/B sections of the MCAT. Hopefully you are gunning for a 517 to 523 range on your actual exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then that is a GREAT score. In general, people get roughly 56 to 60% on Phase I, 62% to 67% on Phase II and and 67% to 70% on Phase III in the four science sections. These same people average about 128 on the C/P and B/B sections of the MCAT. Hopefully you are gunning for a 517 to 523 range on your actual exam.

Wow great news! I'd forget about med school and just go straight to heaven if I'm in that range. Thanks so much! Think I'll start hitting phase 3 soon, I'm nervous about the integration of all the topics, but better to get to it now than later.

One other quick question you might have some insight on. I've been timing my 25 question sections, and on average I'm around 30-31 minutes. I'm assuming the phase 1/2 passages are a little shorter than the MCAT passages? I haven't worried about time too much because I seem to be doing alright, but have you had any experience w students struggling on time when transferring to the AAMC stuff?

We recommend having no timing for Phase I and finishing Phase II at a pace of 1 minute per question and 2 minutes per passage. For a typical 3-passage and 25-question Phase II, you should aim to complete it in 31 minutes.

I haven't heard much of an issue when switching to AAMC practice materials, but there are people who say that a passage or two on the real deal was a time sponge.