1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for the Non Traditionals

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by bostonpet, May 4, 2007.

1. bostonpet

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    If there's a thread that already exists for this somewhere, my apologies...

Would you recommend working FT and taking classes PT, or taking classes FT and work PT? Just trying to figure out logistics....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. seaturtlegirl

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hi Bostonpet!
    I think this depends on your personal situation. If you don't need to rack up experience hours, then I think that working PT is fine. From what I understand, schools seem to be more interested in seeing that you can handle a full course load of upper level science courses and still do well. Of course, you'll wan to work at least part time (or volunteer) to show that you can handle both at the same time. Also, the more diverse the experience the better! However, I see no true benefit to working full time if your grades may suffer as a result. (I know some who have worked crazy hours at incredible places, but if the schools can't get past your GPA, then it doesn't help!)

Good luck! :luck:

4. JIKJen124

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    For me, the full time school/work and/or voluteer parttime was the right mix. Ultimately your academic schedule will dictate when you can apply, and my goal was to be ready to apply as soon as possible. If your in no hurry, I can see how working full time for experience and taking classes part time can work out well too.

5. thomphea

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I am graduating this year...and I worked full time and attended school full time. Not only was it tough, but also extremely exhausting. I regret that I was not able to fully "take in" some of my classes like I wanted.
    If you are able to only work part time (financially and survive) I would totally suggest that. I was never able to take that option and still too stubborn to realize that I should have cut back on a credit or two per semester.
    Good luck with you decision!:D

6. jnt179

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I agree with Thomphea! I really wish I had been able to enjoy going to school. I have worked full time all 4 years of undergrad and took a full course load. I still have to finish getting my prereqs out of the way so I will be in school for another year. (I would have been done sooner but I decided to attempt to get in to vet school.) My GPA isn't the greatest but then again I was one of those students that did not plan on going to vet school. I just decided this semester!

7. wildfocus

wildfocus DVM/PhD student
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    older nontrads may have other responsibilities to consider as well. i have a mortgage, thus had no option - it was full time work for me! vet assisting didn't bring in enough money to pay the bills so i got a good paying job (one that could have brought me to retirement). but i didn't want to lose my teching skills, so worked per diem at the vet hospital on the weekends. b/c i work for a university, i got some tuition exemption and took university classes where i could during the day and took everything else at the community college at night - about 2-4 classes a quarter. the trade off for doing full time work/part time school was TIME. it took me 7 years to finish everything and i'll be 33 when i start classes this fall.

8. seaturtlegirl

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Good for you, Wildfocus! That's awesome! :thumbup: (At least you have a house, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one now!) :laugh:

9. bostonpet

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    going back to school is going to be such a change! i've contacted my local zoo to inquire about volunteer time and have been searching the net for local schools with night classes. i really don't know what i'll do, but i'll figure out how to swing it somehow!

i'm thinking of taking bio and stats in the fall, just because i remember having an easier time with it than chem. but harvard extension recommends taking chem and physics the first year, then bio and org. chem the next in their health career program. any thoughts on that?

10. seaturtlegirl

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hi Bostonpet. I don't know if the order of those particular classes matters so much. I took bio and gen chem together, and then did orgo along with biochem and molecular. I left physics to the end (still taking 2 now), but that was because I was scared of it! (turns out it's not as bad as I thought)

Sometimes, the class schedules themselves dictate what you can take anyway. I would just find out if there are any classes that may only be offered in a particular semester (biochem for me was only in the fall), just to make sure you don't end up having it take longer than you need to!

11. critterfixer

critterfixer Veterinarian
    2+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I carried between 12 and 18 units per semester and worked 12-15 hours per week. I had to creatively schedule classes because I also home educated my two daughters the entire time and so had to take as many evening classes as I could. Fortunately, when the last 3 semesters required me to attend during the day, my daughters were old enough to take care of themselves.

If I have any advice, it's to go to school full time, because I think most of the veterinary schools give points for the "load" you carried.

I'll be 41 when I start veterinary school, by the way.

12. JIKJen124

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Given that most vet schools require upper level biology courses, you might want to consider getting bio done in your first year back. Also, some key advice that I wish I had known before I started at a fancy (aka, Ivy league, super competative/intense) post-bacc program, is that most schools don't care where you take your classes as long as you get A's. This issue certainly has been debated in a previous thread that you can look up (I think it's called "does prestige matter?" or something). So unless you are 100% committed to Harvard Extension, you might want to look into night science classes at other schools in the area. It might save you some sanity. Leaving my program certainly did, and I had a successful application year this year.

13. bostonpet

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    thanks for the advice jikjen. i'm definitely going to take all this into consideration when i finally figure out what to do...