Question for those on the other side of the admissions process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s_no7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it that an applicant spoke to your program at Midyear/before applying? I was limiting myself to a geographic region at the time, but I've been looking at programs (mostly in large teaching facilities that are not associated with/near my pharmacy program) in other areas and feel very interested in them (and am definitely willing to move far out for their PGY1 experience). However, I'm concerned that programs will notice that I attended Midyear (based on my CV) but did not stop by their booth/contact them separately before the upcoming deadline. I'm wondering if it's worth applying at this point, as I know that it's very competitive and programs seek out reasons to say no. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably won’t matter. Especially with the large programs so many people stop by the booth they will likely only remember you if you were phenomenal or hilariously terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't matter. I'm still not sure of the point of the midyear thing.

To my understanding, the point of midyear is for students looking at residency programs to get a feel for programs they aren't able to visit at local residency showcases. You can ask questions to residents that aren't typically answered on the websites, like the hospital atmosphere. The point isn't for students to make impressions on the programs (though you should be trying to avoid making a bad impression). When applying for residencies, your attendance at midyear doesn't matter for anyone except you, unless you were terrible at midyear.

For our program, it would entirely depend on the rest of your application. Midyear impressions can certainly be bad (and we have trashed otherwise good applications based on those interactions). However, we have also interviewed candidates that we would have not otherwise interviewed based on good interactions at Midyear. Strong applications get an interview regardless of interactions at midyear.

Also, it isn't about being memorable for us. If you bring us your CV or business card, then we immediately make notes on the back and give an overall impression grade that we will match later and add to your application file. Grades are coded in case anyone sees the mark (it was Harry Potter themed one year, Star Wars themed another year, etc).

Thanks to everyone for the helpful and entertaining responses (I actually had to look up what a po'boy is)! I was a bit hesitant because I heard certain programs expect you to contact them with questions, schedule tours/attend separate events, etc. before officially applying...but I'll go ahead and apply anyway and see how it goes. :)