This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student457

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any past or present residents give any insight on how draining it is to staff every other weekend without comp days vs. with?

Also, what are your thoughts on programs without a research month in December (along with staffing every other weekend)?

Members don't see this ad.

My pgy1 was 11 on, 3 off, which was tolerable.

I do feel it was preferable to the 12 on, 2 off. But I’ve talked to other people who see missing 2 days of rotation as a 10% loss (4 week rotation), so I guess it’s about perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for your response. It's a little intimidating to hear about only getting 4 days off/month but it seems common for programs to require that and from what I hear, it seems like it's for good reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a PGY-1 doing 12 days on, 2 days off. I handle it relatively well because I try make time to relax and hangout with people right after my shift on the weekends. It does get a little frustrating and tiring by Day 9-10 though just due to fatigue. Some other people I know don't really like it because it takes up too many weekends, but it's really your perspective of how to make the best of it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently a PGY-1 doing 12 days on, 2 days off. I handle it relatively well because I try make time to relax and hangout with people right after my shift on the weekends. It does get a little frustrating and tiring by Day 9-10 though just due to fatigue. Some other people I know don't really like it because it takes up too many weekends, but it's really your perspective of how to make the best of it.
It's good to hear you still have time to hang out with people. My concern was that it would take up so much time that there wouldn't be any time to even complete all the projects, much less see other people.

I did 6 on, 1 off- one of my co-residents did every Sunday, I did every Saturday (whereas the other residents did the 12 on/2 off thing)- it fit us, and it fit them- it's all abt preference.

If the service component of the residency is pure staffing (ie no on-call issues, formulary approvals, managerial issues, etc)- an 8hr shift goes by quite fast. I would staff my Saturday, and then just work the rest of the day in the office on the next week's readings and get a leg up on projects/research, then Sunday was my complete day off for family, chores, meal prep, etc.

It is horrible in the beginning. Further on into residency, when you find out how to handle everything and are getting used to residency, it is more tolerable. I am no stranger to hard work, but 12 on and 2 off, with clinical and regular staffing component for 11-12 hours on the weekend days can really burn you out in the beginning. I now have a much better grasp on it and as time goes by, you just get faster at it. I actually have preferred staffing to some of my rotations, so that is a plus. You also learn a lot more staffing, because you are the go to pharmacist, depending on where you end up. I think it is important to look at the residents from the institution you are applying to and see how tired they are, ask about their work life balance, etc.