Question for University of Maryland Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueMagpie

Meladori
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I'm applying to University of Maryland this cycle. I did a thread search, but didn't find much new info about UMD, so I was curious what your likes and dislikes are about the school, and are there things that you wish you had known before attending school there?

Thank you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only a first year and can only tell you how things have gone so far for the first 2 1/2 months. Pretty much, I have zero complaints so far. Sure there was one lecturer I didn't like, but thanks to new video capture technology, you no longer need to go to class if you don't want to.

Things I know I like a lot so far:
The students are amazing. Everyone is very friendly and it is not competitive at all, even with the grades situation. My classmates are all very bright and work hard.

The block system is a major plus. Yes, we have a test every 2.5 to 3 weeks so you can't fall behind, but when I consider the alternative which would be taking several classes at once and having midterms and finals at the same time like in undergrad, I cringe at the thought. Three weeks worth of material might not seem like a lot to you right now, but trust me, your brain will be overloaded by then.

The faculty really cares about the students. I missed a few days when my grandmother passed away. One of the anatomy professors met with me the day before the test and spent close to 4 hours one-on-one just going over the cadavers with me. Again, I don't know how well this translates to the school as a whole, but for anatomy, the faculty is top notch and very dedicated to teaching.

The online and computer aspect of the curriculum is great. Every first year gets a "free" laptop (its part of tuition, but still a great deal for what you pay for.) All notes and powerpoints are online before each lecture, and all audio and video of the powerpoint lecture projection (so you can see where the doc is pointing on a slide) is all online within an hour or two of each lecture.

Last but not least, the hours at Maryland are AMAZING. We are done every day at 12. That's right, lecture 8-10, lab 10-12, and that's it. Once a week we have 2-3 hours of Intro to Clinical Medicine in the afternoon in small groups of 7-8 students, but thats really no big deal. You have plenty of time to study and still have a life since you're not stuck in lecture all day. To me, this is the biggest advantage of attending Maryland thus far.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me anytime.