Question: if I’m a quarter African, can I check myself off as African-American on applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Check the box. Schools are not interested in investigating their applicant's claims, if your skin is dark enough to pass and you check the box, nobody is even going to ask if you're full vs half vs quarter. Take the free boost
Do you identify as Black? Are you perceived as Black? That’s the relevant variable in question here.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you identify as Black? Are you perceived as Black? That’s the relevant variable in question here.
Do you even have to be perceived as black? Isn't a significant portion of the AA population light skinned enough to pass for other origins? Unless OP looks Scandinavian or something, I sincerely doubt anybody would even ask about whether they're mixed

Advantages can be gained by checking the “black” box. If an applicant looks as if they may be claiming those advantages in an illegitimate manner, it will get attention. If the applicant hasn’t had any service to the Black community, that draws our on-the-fence applicant into further question. Are they trying to pull a fast one on Admissions?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Advantages can be gained by checking the “black” box. If an applicant looks as if they may be claiming those advantages in an illegitimate manner, it will get attention. If the applicant hasn’t had any service to the Black community, that draws our on-the-fence applicant into further question. Are they trying to pull a fast one on Admissions?
OMG @OxenFoxen @EmbryonalCarcinoma @Goro @Sunbodi

HE LIVES!!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
"You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain*"
*Unless you're Walter Raleigh and you die and come back to life as a hero.

Reactions: 3 users
I really think it's an SDN myth that you need to have shown service to your racial community to back up the checkbox. You still count as D I V E R S I T Y even if you went to private high school and had parents pay for your Ivy League degree, etc. I'm sure mission driven programs care more, but for the typical MD program it's just a boost whether you claim interest in underserved care or not.

Reactions: 1 users
What’s F? “Pressing F”

That's the Xbox version. On the PC version it's F and not X. People were initially making fun of a farcical game mechanic but eventually people started using it for despairing events.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users