Question of for Puerto Rican med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfer1895

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone from the US been accepted into any of the Puerto Rican schools with a 22 MCAT and 3.2 GPA? I know my chances are slim but I was wondering if it would be possible. I speak spanish fluently and have family living in PR. Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone from the US been accepted into any of the Puerto Rican schools with a 22 MCAT and 3.2 GPA? I know my chances are slim but I was wondering if it would be possible. I speak spanish fluently and have family living in PR. Any help would be great.

You're probably not going to find many people in the US allopathic thread that know a lot about a school outside the US. Maybe check out a different thread?? Maybe someone will stumble on it that knows more than I do, I'm just letting you know if you don't get responses it is probably because nobody really knows.

I have heard of some, but I believe their stats were a little higher. There are some threads about PR schools if you search around with the school's names and Puerto Rico.

I would also suggest just calling the schools and see what they say....

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is OK for two schools in Puerto Rico (Universidad Central Del Caribe and San Juan Bautista which is a new school that open an MD program two years ago). You can check out these stats in the link below:
http://www.washington.edu/uaa/gateway/advising/downloads/gpamcat.pdf

Here are some stats for the 08-09 matriculants:

Ponce: median mcat: 21, median gpa: 3.6
San Juan Bautista: median mcat: 20, median gpa: 3.3
Central del Caribe: median mcat: 21, median gpa: 3.5
University of Puerto Rico: median mcat: 23, median gpa: 3.8

San Juan Bautista enrolls the most out-of-state (30-40%), followed by Central del Caribe and then Ponce.

University of Puerto Rico does not even consider out-of-state unless:

"Highly qualified Puerto Rico non-residents must demonstrate strong ties to Puerto Rico. To determine strong residential ties to Puerto Rico, the Committee on Admission will review the applicant´s birthplace, high school attended, college attended and parent´s legal residence. An applicant who meets three of the four categories demonstrates strong ties to Puerto Rico."

What most people fail to realize is that numbers alone do not tell the whole story. Med schools in PR cater to a population who mostly speak English as a second language and as such usually have lower MCAT scores. Imagine if you will having to take an exam as difficult as the MCAT in what is essentially a foreign language and you get the idea. They scale the test scores accordingly and as expected, results in lower ocerall scores. Med schools in PR are quite aware that many people view them as "easy" to get into and have taken steps to weed those applicants out. Just be aware that it is not quite as easy for a US mainlander to get accepted as many here might believe.

Out of curiousity, is the language of instruction english or spanish or combination of both for the PR schools?

Out of curiousity, is the language of instruction english or spanish or combination of both for the PR schools?
The language of instruction is mostly spanish; however, the textbooks and exams are written in english.

Just wanted to let you guys know that it is possible to be a mainland student from the US and get accepted to a school in Puerto Rico. I was recently accepted to San Juan Bautista with a 23 MCAT and 3.83 GPA. I am close to being fluent in Spanish, but not entirely. I learned by studying abroad in Spain for a year, but I interviewed with other applicants who did not speak Spanish at all. I applied to Ponce and UCC as well, but have not been invited for interviews at those schools. As far as I know, SJBSOM is a really good school. Good luck to everyone!