Question on calc limits

Started by jnmnh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jnmnh

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question in my study guide and I can't figure out how the answer was reached.

Problem:
lim x -> 1 (x^3 - x^2) / (1-x^3)

Answer:
-1/3

Is there a math master out there that can explain this to me? I feel like I am just missing how to factor it.

Are limits on the PCAT only inifinite limits and 0/0 limits?

And finally while I have help what is d(ln 2x)/dx?
Thanks!
 
Ok I got it. I will help with the limit problem. Numerator will give you 0 when you plug in 1 righ? while denominator gives 0 too. What you have to do at this situation is take derivative of both numerator and denominator and plug in the number which is 1 again.

It becomes 3x^2 - 2x / -3x^2 when I took derivative of both numerator and denominator separately. and just simply plug in 1 into both top and botton and will give you the answer 🙂

and I think d(ln 2x)/dx gives you 1/x if I remember my stuffs correctly.
 
Ok I got it. I will help with the limit problem. Numerator will give you 0 when you plug in 1 righ? while denominator gives 0 too. What you have to do at this situation is take derivative of both numerator and denominator and plug in the number which is 1 again.

It becomes 3x^2 - 2x / -3x^2 when I took derivative of both numerator and denominator separately. and just simply plug in 1 into both top and botton and will give you the answer 🙂

and I think d(ln 2x)/dx gives you 1/x if I remember my stuffs correctly.

The derivative is 1/2x *2

use the chain rule.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
you dont need to use derivatives here, all you have to do is factor:

(x^3-x^2)/(1-x^3) = x^2(x-1)/(1-x)(1+x+x^2)

[ a^3-b^3 =(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2) ]
then cancel (x-1) and (1-x) you will be left with -1
now you have
lim x--->1 -x^2/(1+x+x^2) plug in 1 and you will get -1/3

good luck
 
Hi
you dont need to use derivatives here, all you have to do is factor:

(x^3-x^2)/(1-x^3) = x^2(x-1)/(1-x)(1+x+x^2)

[ a^3-b^3 =(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2) ]
then cancel (x-1) and (1-x) you will be left with -1
now you have
lim x--->1 -x^2/(1+x+x^2) plug in 1 and you will get -1/3

good luck


Isn't finding the derivative and pluging in the limit so much easier? Whichever way is faster for you OP.