Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Question on dropping a class

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by uclabruin1, Nov 22, 2005.

1. uclabruin1

uclabruin1 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am in the process of applying this year and am considering dropping a class this quarter. I realize I've already submitted my stuff, but I was concerned with updating schools with my grades or even later if I were to get in with my final transcript. How bad is it if I do indeed drop a class? I am in the process of getting a C which is why I want to drop. I think dropping would be better, but then again it MAY be possible for me to move my grade up towards a B if I did extremely well on the final, which isn't really likely. Does anyone have any input on how a dropped class looks? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the deadline might have passed to change grading basis, but if it hasn't you could swap to P/NP. (Like I'm doing with my last two GEs! Stupid Anthro 8.)
    If that's not possible I'd suck it up and try to kick ass on the final.

4. theblastopore

theblastopore Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm not really sure. But I think you should be fine as long as you'll have all the pre-reqs and a degree before you start med school.

I actually have a worse case than yours (and I hope it'll be OK, too). I already have a bachelor degree in CS and completed all pre-med prerequisites. I was really close to getting a degree in Biology, so I decided in come back to school finish it (in case I don't get in the first time, I can find a job in biology-related research).

However, I have to drop 3 classes and will have to look for a job next semester. My financial aid office initially declined to give me a loan (just received the loan check today). The financial stress, med school application and interviews along with my senioritis really hurt my class performance. Not only I dropped 3 classes but I also won't be taking class next semester and will not get a second degree.

I really hope you won't have a problem because if you do, then I will, too :scared:

5. JG198

JG198 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As long as you finish your BS/BA and you perform as well as before (not including this class you are talking about), you shouldn't have a problem. I really doubt they will scrutinize your transcript after you graduate and have been accepted. (I guess what i am saying is that dropping that class won't hurt)

6. SearsTower

SearsTower Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    so uclabruin1, what class do u want to drop? Who's your prof.? UCLA classes are easy.

7. pagemmapants

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thank GOD someone else agrees! :laugh: Biochem 153L? :eek: I was told it was hell on earth. I was lied to. :rolleyes:

8. SearsTower

Removed

Pre-Medical
    153L is easy but I got a B- for not ever doing a single protocol (my friend on the other hand, who wasn't the brightest guy, got an A). I hate labs.

I got so scared of 110A because of all the rumor. It was a complete joke.

9. pagemmapants

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I still have yet to encounter a class that it would have been impossible for me to ace. MCD 138, developmental bio, probably came the closest - some of those genetic pathways in the early embryo are tough to follow, and if I never hear the phrase "sonic hedgehog" again I'll die a happy woman.

Some quarters I just got lazy. :shrug: Or decided that I was okay skipping a few lectures to go on a road trip. In a weird way, I kind of like my non-A grades because they remind me that I had a hell of a lot of fun in college.

10. uclabruin1

uclabruin1 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i agree ucla classes are a joke. it's not that i'm doing bad because of difficulty, but i am doing poorly in...... LS1. i just sleep straight through class, i have no notes, and i studied only a few hours total combined for both midterms. needless to say, i should've memorized things a little more thoroughly... but yes, this is my sad life.
    i agree 153L was easy and so was 110A... but has anyone taken 30CL? i'm in it right now and i hate that crap, maybe it's not difficult theoretically, but the workload is horrendous.

11. pagemmapants

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    HAHAAH! Aw. LS1 was my first B EVER! I hated that class - I don't suppose you have Zimmer or Hespenheide, do you? They're both terrible. I took the Chem 14 series so I don't know what the 30 labs are like, but I hear they're no fun.

12. bootz

bootz Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

With Bacher? He's a really nice guy. I didn't take 30CL yet but I'm thinking about taking it next quarter.

13. SearsTower

Removed

Pre-Medical
    labs are miserable, especially 30cl

14. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That was my favorite class at UCLA. And then I took MCDB 143 and it turned out to be a repeat of 138. :laugh:

I agree, 153L was not bad at all. I was so freaked out, but ended up really enjoying it.