Quantcast

Question on letters of interest and updates

Start Med School in 2023! Free Accepted Webinar!
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Brightside

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I've had a few interviews, a couple of which were waitlists, with no acceptances or rejections post-II. All interviews were at least two months ago. I just received an additional LOR in AMCAS and wanted to send a quick email to schools to confirm it was received.

While I'm at it, would this be an appropriate time to send a letter post-II (depending on if the school receives updates) with some small updates as well as reiterating interest/ noting some new things about their program I've researched, etc? Also, some of the schools had average stats well below mine (edit: they're also OOS and public) and I've heard it's important to show them you're still interested, but I don't know. For my waitlist schools, would it be better to wait to send a more formal letter of interest until the spring? For the schools I haven't heard from pre-II (one state school and several top 20s), would a update letter mean anything to them?

Thanks!

Last edited:

HomeSkool

Excelsior! ASA Member!
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you don't have much reason to contact any of the schools, and here's why:
  • If the LOR was uploaded to the portal appropriately, it's been received.
  • If you have BIG updates, send an update letter. If you have SMALL updates, it's not going to help.
  • Letters of interest are generally pretty useless. If you haven't withdrawn your application, they assume you're still interested.
I know waiting sucks and the anxiety eats at you (I felt it once upon a time, too), but my advice is to relax, do something fun to unwind, and keep on waiting.

Reactions: 2 users