Question: Out of state application process (MPJE before or after)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheStruggleIsReal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN Pharmacists,

I am a newly licensed pharmacist in the state of GA and GA is looking pretty bad in terms of job market for a new graduate. I am interested in applying out of state for a job, but not really anywhere specific. I am pretty much looking at pharmacist job postings sorting by date in any state.

My question is should I take my MPJE for that state before applying or can I see if i even get a job offer then take the respective state MPJE?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen many job postings say the applicant has to either be licensed in the state or will be licensed in the state within 90 days. It can be expensive to get and maintain multiple licenses unless you are really considering working in those states some time. Always worth applying and checking at the point of getting an interview :)

Reactions: 1 user
I might have a little insight here. Licensing can take anywhere from a couple weeks to several months ie Texas or Michigan. Some states require you to apply for and take the MPJE before submitting an application. The best way to find out is to just go to their state website and look at the reciprocity application process. Oregon and Michigan, for example, require you to take the MPJE and pass before submitting an application.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN Pharmacists,

I am a newly licensed pharmacist in the state of GA and GA is looking pretty bad in terms of job market for a new graduate. I am interested in applying out of state for a job, but not really anywhere specific. I am pretty much looking at pharmacist job postings sorting by date in any state.

My question is should I take my MPJE for that state before applying or can I see if i even get a job offer then take the respective state MPJE?

And as a side note, I have recently seen a few postings (here in SC) for dual-licensed pharmacists that could float to SC and GA stores. Maybe do a search for SC jobs near Hilton Head/Southern SC and see if you can score anything like that

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick responses. SDN community is pretty awesome. Definitely given me some things to look into

I might have a little insight here. Licensing can take anywhere from a couple weeks to several months ie Texas or Michigan. Some states require you to apply for and take the MPJE before submitting an application. The best way to find out is to just go to their state website and look at the reciprocity application process. Oregon and Michigan, for example, require you to take the MPJE and pass before submitting an application.

Are you multi-licensed for any particular reason (i.e. work for mail order or etc)?? That is so many renewals to keep up with, lol!

Keep in mind that for reciprocity, many states require a year of practice in good standing before they accept a license for reciprocation.

That's true. I'm fairly sure 100% of states require at least one year of work experience once you get outside the score transfer window.