Question Regarding 2 Programs at Same HOSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MdMdMd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
Just had a question that I was hoping you guys could help me answer. My school consolers are pretty nonexistent so I have been forced to turn here for advice. Does anyone have advice regarding applying to more then one residency program at the same hospital. For example, if I apply for both IM and Surgery at one hospital am I killing my chances of both? I'm about to be an MS4 and just really confused about what I want to go into. I'm thinking of applying for both IM and surgical specialties and wanted to see if you guys knew if there was any cross reference within hospitals regarding programs or what this could do to my chances. Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,
Just had a question that I was hoping you guys could help me answer. My school consolers are pretty nonexistent so I have been forced to turn here for advice. Does anyone have advice regarding applying to more then one residency program at the same hospital. For example, if I apply for both IM and Surgery at one hospital am I killing my chances of both? I'm about to be an MS4 and just really confused about what I want to go into. I'm thinking of applying for both IM and surgical specialties and wanted to see if you guys knew if there was any cross reference within hospitals regarding programs or what this could do to my chances. Thanks so much for your help!

Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. There is no hard and fast rule.

Frankly, IM and Surgery are so vastly different that if you were "found out" you would have a hard time defending your choice to either specialty. Bear in mind as well, you will need two sets of letters - one which talks about how well you are suited for IM and another for Surgery.

At any rate, most programs probably don't have a formalized process for checking to see if applicants are applying to more than one specialty, but you can always be found out - ie, you are seen at separate interviews, faculty talk to one another, etc. It generally doens't help your chances, especially in two such disparate fields.

For example, if I apply for both IM and Surgery at one hospital am I killing my chances of both?

Yes.

This is a bad idea, and it will come back to haunt you.

Now, you could apply to IM in one hospital and surgery at another hospital (preferably in a different state). That's pretty safe, but be aware that you are taking a risk.

thanks for your advice but im sorry i dont understand. could you elaborate