Question Regarding Background Checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uncle_Tbag

Of the DrGeddyLee Tbags
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping you docs could answer a few questions for me.

About 12 years ago (I was 19 at the time), in my early college days, I was arrested for misdemeanor possesion of a controlled substance.

I know having a felony on your record will pretty much ruin your chances, but how about a relatively "small" misdemeanor infraction like this? Will this:

Prevent me from being accepted to med school?
Prevent me from being licensed or accepted to a residency program?

Is there any governing body that I can contact and get a specific answer on this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Be prepared to answer all questions honestly. Getting a medical lisence will require some extra hoops to jump through but in the end it will work out.

raptor5 said:
10 years ago I had 2 DUIs. Hasn't been a problem yet. Be prepared to answer all questions honestly. Getting a medical lisence will require some extra hoops to jump through but in the end it will work out.
Thanks for the input. Is this something the adcoms brought up frequently, and if so how did you deal with it? Also, what extra hoops are there to jump through to get licensed? I imagine it would vary by state but any info I can get is greatly appreciated.

Fact is, I'm knee deep in a full time job, doing research, and volunteering, plus I'm going back to school next semester to finish off my pre-reqs. I'd hate to do all this and have it be for nothing.

There was a guy in my school who got into Radiology, and he had slapped his girl friend in the face during his second year of medical school. The funny thing is that some faculty members were coming out from a meeting and got to see all the nasty espectacle. They intervened and separated them. The girl pressed charges against him in the court. I am not sure whether she later dropped them off. Anyway it seems that it didn't matter to the school (He had the highest Boards scores in the history of the school ie., >270), since he didn't get kicked from the school. He got admission into Rads... at a top 5 school in the nation. It just lets you know that if you are the guy with the best scores in your school sometimes you can get away with almost anything :laugh: It just lets me realize how SUPERFICIAL is all this Medical field.... For sure, I would marry a female doctor...

" For sure, I would marry a female doctor..."

OOoopps, I meant I would NEVER marry a female doctor. My experience has been that most of my female classmates just want sleezy booty calls and one night stands with the fellow classmates....

Sivastraba said:
There was a guy in my school who got into Radiology, and he had slapped his girl friend in the face during his second year of medical school. The funny thing is that some faculty members were coming out from a meeting and got to see all the nasty espectacle. They intervened and separated them. The girl pressed charges against him in the court. I am not sure whether she later dropped them off. Anyway it seems that it didn't matter to the school (He had the highest Boards scores in the history of the school ie., >270), since he didn't get kicked from the school. He got admission into Rads... at a top 5 school in the nation. It just lets you know that if you are the guy with the best scores in your school sometimes you can get away with almost anything :laugh: It just lets me realize how SUPERFICIAL is all this Medical field.... For sure, I would marry a female doctor...
LOL, fortunately I'm already married to a devoted HOMEMAKER :love:

hey sivastabra

sounds a little like jealousy there. haha

Any more thoughts on this? I'm finding it very difficult to get a definitive answer on this. Will most med schools or residencies see a drug related misdemeanor and say "no thanks?"

Dr GeddyLee said:
Any more thoughts on this? I'm finding it very difficult to get a definitive answer on this. Will most med schools or residencies see a drug related misdemeanor and say "no thanks?"

ask anyone in this forum and they will tell you im NOT the bearer of bad news by any means -so don't take this as bad news, its only my knowledge at MY school.

my dean would not even take a sub-i becaues he had a dui on his record - but this is MY SCHOOL and the only one i know of like this so i can't tell you anything else. it may very well be that he had someone injured in his family by a drunk driver or something so WHO KNOWS - but I would probably call teh schools and ask - and if you have it expunged, leave it off your application, if its not - then answer honestly, describe what you learned from the situation, and how it was a positive thing in the long run.

good luck!

most secondary applications to med school will ask if you've been convicted of a felony (and some ask about misdemeanors as well) and require a written explanation. just answer the question honestly and write a sincere and humble explanation. we were all young and stupid once and admission committees will appreciate your honesty and learning from your mistake. certainly not a reason to give up on med school if that's what you really want to do.

Dr GeddyLee said:

This will likely follow you around for the rest of your career, but that doesn't mean it will prevent you from being a doctor. Not only for med school but also for residency, licensing applications and when/if you apply for staff priveleges at different hospitals. They all require background checks and it will come up. I haven't been through the licensing process but others have mentioned if there are any "red flags" in your application then some state boards have you show up for a personal interview where you can explain your case.

If you want a more definitive answer call the medical board of the state you want to practice in and ask them. Make sure to ask to speak with somebody on the actual board who is responsible for making decisions about licensing applications.

Dr GeddyLee said:
Hello,

I was hoping you docs could answer a few questions for me.

About 12 years ago (I was 19 at the time), in my early college days, I was arrested for misdemeanor possesion of a controlled substance.

I know having a felony on your record will pretty much ruin your chances, but how about a relatively "small" misdemeanor infraction like this? Will this:

Prevent me from being accepted to med school?
Prevent me from being licensed or accepted to a residency program?

Is there any governing body that I can contact and get a specific answer on this?

Thanks!

Wait. Were you convicted or just arrested? If only arrested, smooth sailing.

fedor said:

he/she doesn't even have to report an arrest right? (fedor I inserted my anti sexism blurb inthe beginning see?)

Whatever you do, don't lie. Having acted stupid as an undergrad in college won't necessarily stand in your way. Lying on an application (which is found out about during a background check) will impair your medical career.

Some states these days require detailed 'caregiver background checks' before you are allowed to practice (even as an intern). At times this includes a fingerprint check in AFIS. If you had an arrest record, it might pop up there.

Btw. Inform yourself about the repercussions of drug related offenses for your federal student loans.

If you have been an upstanding citizen since then, depending on the state there might be a process to expunge the record (particularly if it was only an arrest, not a conviction).

f_w said:
Whatever you do, don't lie. Having acted stupid as an undergrad in college won't necessarily stand in your way. Lying on an application (which is found out about during a background check) will impair your medical career.

Some states these days require detailed 'caregiver background checks' before you are allowed to practice (even as an intern). At times this includes a fingerprint check in AFIS. If you had an arrest record, it might pop up there.

Btw. Inform yourself about the repercussions of drug related offenses for your federal student loans.

If you have been an upstanding citizen since then, depending on the state there might be a process to expunge the record (particularly if it was only an arrest, not a conviction).

What is afIS? And is anyone else feeling awfully invaded with all these checks they're starting to do? My goodness, whatever happened to paying your time for your crimes or whatever that saying was, now we're taking FINGERPRINTS? sheesherama! :scared: You know, when I lived in a big city I felt very invaded when those helicopters would looki through my windows trying to catch whoever they were chasing (yes, it was LA) and it really does seem its just getting worse and worse - sorry to go on about this, but i just saw on the news they want to stop allowing CELL PHONES IN A STATE PARK? give me A BREAK - its like big brother is always watching man, he's always watching <scary> :scared:

AFIS--> automatic fingerprint identification system

A computer system maintained by the FBI which contains the fingerprints and identities of predominantly criminals.

f_w said:
AFIS--> automatic fingerprint identification system

A computer system maintained by the FBI which contains the fingerprints and identities of predominantly criminals.

Also individuals who have a concealed carry permit. I'm not sure if it's a national mandate or a state specific one.

Dr GeddyLee said:
LOL, fortunately I'm already married to a devoted HOMEMAKER :love:

Whoa. And you are proud of this?

robotsonic said:
Whoa. And you are proud of this?

not to be rude, as i am not the most prolific poster on this site... but may i ask what is wrong with this?

let me clarify my position, lest you think i am being terribly un-feminist. my goal is to go to med school and allow my husband to stay home, perhaps work part time doing what he loves... either construction or old car restorations... he's currently finishing up his 70 chevelle ss, and i have to say he is pretty awesome at it! he's going to help me do my dream car, a convertible bug, when he's done. so i will add restoring a car to my resume. funny, because i always said if i couldn't get into med school, my next dream job would be a diesel mechanic. :laugh: for real! anyway, it would be the perfect arrangement for us... certainly not "traditional" in any way shape or form, but a good arrangement for us.

that being said. i was a corporate monkey climbing the proverbial ladder in a former life. i am currently a stay at home mom. i will be going back to school to do my pre-reqs shortly. in the meantime, i take great pride in being a homemaker. it is a huge responsibility, and i have to say that i had an easier time working the corporate scene. when people ask me what i do now, i tell them that i am a homemaker or a stay at home mom. i have never gotten as much pride from a job as i do from this one. i don't get paid, it never ends, i work nights and weekends, but you know what? i am proud of everything i do. when my house is clean, i am thrilled. i know my little girl can walk around and get into anything without too much worry that she's going to get hurt because my house is a mess. i fill up with pride everytime someone tells me how well behaved and well adjusted my 15 month old is. there is no bigger responsibility than staying home and raising my little girl... not even cardioverting (is that the right word?) a patient or making a rare diagnosis that saves a life or whatever it is that i might be doing when i eventually make it into med school/residency/practice.

anyway. i don't mean to jump down anyone's throat. however, i just wanted to point out that there is no shame in anyone being proud of being married to a homemaker. i think its awesome that he is proud of his wife and all that she does for the family. certainly, too many guys take it for granted and don't realize the amount of blood, sweat and tears that go into keeping up the household. i think it is great that he's proud of what his wife does rather than putting her down as "just" a homemaker. personally, i cannot survive as a lifelong homemaker. however, i give props to those who do it. i've come to find out that it is a harder job than i ever thought possible!!!!

i hope i didn't step on any toes here, just wanted to give my decidedly female point of view. there is a career for everyone, and if she is happy as a homemaker and that is what she wants to do, then i think it is cool that her husband is proud of her.

(NB: in case i missed some inside joke, or if the op of the comment is usually a sexist tool and i am not aware, then i apologize for my diatribe.)

stepping down off my soapbox now and crawling back into my lurking corner over on the non-trad forum. :oops:

kindly,
susanna

Amen sistah, can I get an AMEN! :)

wish I could be a SAHM, but hubby is going to do it when residency starts!

You REALLY need to check out MOMMD - its on that tab up there under SDNPartners :)

GOOD LUCK with school!

Dr GeddyLee said:
There's no definitive answer. State licensing boards have a highly variable approach to this sort of thing, so as someone else said you should look ahead to that, though not too far in advance as the rules and faces change over time. You absolutely must be up-front about it and expect some people will not be receptive.

Well thanks for all the advice. Ultimately I know I can't get a definitive answer on this unless I go to the source. At this point I'm more worried about med school acceptance than licensing, as it's a misdemeanor and to keep you from being licensed in this state you have to have a felony or a misdemeanor involving a violent act. Residency background checks are another matter though, have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

It was a conviction and arrest, didn't serve any time but there was a $300 fine and 3 month suspended sentence.

On the bright side, it hasn't kept me from getting Stafford or Perkins loans, and didn't keep me from obtaining a concealed weapons permit.

It's funny to think that something I did so many years ago could keep me from being a doctor. I wasn't even a stoner at the time, just with the wrong people in the wrong grocery store parking lot at the wrong time. It was like 1.2 grams or something stupid like that, what a fabulous way to potentially ruin a career!! :(

shale said:
(NB: in case i missed some inside joke, or if the op of the comment is usually a sexist tool and i am not aware, then i apologize for my diatribe.)

No way! Now get in the kitchen and make me some pie.

jk, really jk :D

Regarding the homemaker thing, I feel very fortunate to have a wife with the values she has. No she's not a barefoot in the kitchen always pregnant type. We have an open relationship (not in that way! :laugh: ) where we both choose the path that is best for the both of us. For years, before we were married, I supported her and paid for 100% of all our expenses, including here college. In return she fully took care of the house (and me lol). Now we are both working and split the housework between us.

But in the future, when we have kids she wants to be a stay at home mom until they're 18. I respect that and think it's great, but it's not something I've decided, it's her decision. If anyone has a problem with that or wants to get down on her about it, they'll have to go through me first ;)

Dr GeddyLee said:
No way! Now get in the kitchen and make me some pie.

urrrgh. you do NOT want me to make a pie. the one and only time i tried to make a pie, i borrowed some shortening from a neighbor friend (i think i was about 11). she gave me her mother's crisco can... full of deep fryer grease! what did i know about shortening? how was i supposed to know that it wasn't normal for it to smell like chicken? so, i made the most awful chicken flavored apple pie. last time i ever tried my hand at pie baking. it was almost 20 years ago, but i'm still afraid! :eek:

anyway, i didn't want to cause a ruckus, i just wanted to say that i think its cool that you are so proud of your wife. for what its worth, i think its great that you guys have such high regard for each other and respect each other's chosen paths. best of luck to you in your pursuits. i hope that this little snafu doesn't give you too much grief and that things work out for you! :luck: oh, and have fun with the kids when you decide to have them... they are a LOT of work (as i'm finding out!), but so totally worth it. my daughter is the sunshine in my life. :love:

kindly,
susanna

> It was a conviction and arrest, didn't serve any time but there was
> a $300 fine and 3 month suspended sentence.

Have you looked into the possibility of getting the record sealed or expunged ? Some states will allow you to petition the parole board. If you behaved since, they can grant you this type of relief. As a result, you would be legally allowed to answer NO to the 'have you ever been convicted' question so common on license applications (sometimes the next question is: have you ever been paroled or have you avoided conviction by pre-trial diversion).

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There is not so much you can do about it now. I doubt it would even buy you an interview with the medical board.

shale said:
urrrgh. you do NOT want me to make a pie. the one and only time i tried to make a pie, i borrowed some shortening from a neighbor friend (i think i was about 11). she gave me her mother's crisco can... full of deep fryer grease! what did i know about shortening? how was i supposed to know that it wasn't normal for it to smell like chicken? so, i made the most awful chicken flavored apple pie. last time i ever tried my hand at pie baking. it was almost 20 years ago, but i'm still afraid! :eek:

anyway, i didn't want to cause a ruckus, i just wanted to say that i think its cool that you are so proud of your wife. for what its worth, i think its great that you guys have such high regard for each other and respect each other's chosen paths. best of luck to you in your pursuits. i hope that this little snafu doesn't give you too much grief and that things work out for you! :luck: oh, and have fun with the kids when you decide to have them... they are a LOT of work (as i'm finding out!), but so totally worth it. my daughter is the sunshine in my life. :love:

kindly,
susanna
Chicken-pot-pie next time maybe? ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

f_w said:
> It was a conviction and arrest, didn't serve any time but there was
> a $300 fine and 3 month suspended sentence.

Have you looked into the possibility of getting the record sealed or expunged ? Some states will allow you to petition the parole board. If you behaved since, they can grant you this type of relief. As a result, you would be legally allowed to answer NO to the 'have you ever been convicted' question so common on license applications (sometimes the next question is: have you ever been paroled or have you avoided conviction by pre-trial diversion).

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There is not so much you can do about it now. I doubt it would even buy you an interview with the medical board.

That is something I've looked into recently. I'm actually trying to track down a good lawyer to talk to about this.

fedor said:

Exactly. When in an interview and asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime say

"Convicted?! No, never convicted (in a now relaxed tone)"
:laugh: