Question regarding calculus on Pcat.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigalaz1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I still haven't taken calculus yet and am wondering whether to take regular calc or just brief. The two AZ schools only require brief and I'm not applying anywhere else. BUT, if brief doesn't cover much of what is considered "calc" on the PCAT, I'll just take regular calc. So what do you think? How much would brief prepare you for PCAT calc?

Members don't see this ad.

bigalaz1 said:
Hey everyone,

I still haven't taken calculus yet and am wondering whether to take regular calc or just brief. The two AZ schools only require brief and I'm not applying anywhere else. BUT, if brief doesn't cover much of what is considered "calc" on the PCAT, I'll just take regular calc. So what do you think? How much would brief prepare you for PCAT calc?

I don't know what you mean by "breif" but it doesn't go beyond Calc I. And it was only a few questions. You could still do well on the math part if you did well on the algebra and geometry (ie non calculus questions). Just take what's required,.. I don't think you need to go out of the way for the PCAT. It was all pretty basic calc stuff... Like what's the integral of x^2 , and a question or two about acceleration... Not really in depth calc on the PCAT and less than 1/4 of the questions I'd guess.

I'm not sure what's offered in schools where you're at but here in AZ there is an option to take what is called "Brief Calculus" after trig. It's apparently calc without "theory" or something like that. In essence, it's easier and not as in depth. Hopefully someone on here has taken brief and will know if it prepared them for the calc portion or not.

Know the basics of differentiation and integration. Make sure you know the deriviatives of the trig functions. There was also a summation question or two. I'm sure any Calc course would cover the necessary info because it is so basic.

IMO, the critical skill in this section is to be able to visualize and calculate basic algabraic and geometric problems in your head. And to do it FAST! I was one of the few people who finished the section.

Brief calculus is a calculus for business majors. It's easier than Calc I because it excludes trig, that's really the only difference. The problems are also a little easier. Have you taken trig?