RYost234

5+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello,

I will be an incoming Sophomore at a local community college and am planning on transferring into UIUC Fall 2017.

I have taken Gen Bio 1 and 2, however, neither of the two classes carry over to UIUC.

Would these two classes still fulfill the pre reqs for med school, even if they don't transfer, or would I have to take the two "General college Bio" equivalent classes at UIUC to complete the year long pre req of bio for med school?

Thanks!

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I will be an incoming Sophomore at a local community college and am planning on transferring into UIUC Fall 2017.

I have taken Gen Bio 1 and 2, however, neither of the two classes carry over to UIUC.

1) Would these two classes still fulfill the pre reqs for med school, even if they don't transfer, or
2) would I have to take the two "General college Bio" equivalent classes at UIUC to complete the year long pre req of bio for med school?
1) Yes.

2) Whether you'd need to retake them would depend on whether they are prerequisites to taking further Bio classes through UIUC. You will probably want some upper-level Bio. UIC, for example, requires some.

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes they would count toward med school, although it may be advised to take another semester or 2 of upper Division bio- mobio, genetics etc of which gen bio may be a prerequisite

See if you can appeal, or get the prerequisite waived for those classes if you feel comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
1) Yes.

2) Whether you'd need to retake them would depend on whether they are prerequisites to taking further Bio classes through UIUC. You will probably want some upper-level Bio. UIC, for example, requires some.
As the Cat said, not a problem for medical school but may be an issue for UG school

Reactions: Crayola227
OP
R

RYost234

5+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
1) Yes.

Thank you, do you think it would be a problem getting approval for the upper levels without having to retake them?

OP
R

RYost234

5+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Yes they would count toward med school, although it may be advised to take another semester or 2 of upper Division bio- mobio, genetics etc of which gen bio may be a prerequisite

See if you can appeal, or get the prerequisite waived for those classes if you feel comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for replying this helped a lot! Out of curiosity, would it be difficult to get a class waivered if I got an A in both bios?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Thank you, do you think it would be a problem getting approval for the upper levels without having to retake them?
I suggest you call the UIUC undergrad advising office or Biology Department and ask.